19 Nick

"Nick, hand me the scissors, will you?"

I reach down under the ladder and hand them absentmindedly to Paige.

"Hey, watch it," she says as the scissors nearly fall out of her hands. "You alright there, Nick?"

"Yeah," I say, although it doesn't sound convincing, not even to me.

Paige smooths another piece of tape across the banner. "Boys," she mutters under her breath.

I get off the ladder, my Vans squeaking on the metal, and look across the gym, where the student council and volunteers are swarming around getting the dance floor ready. Several confetti baskets are strung across from the ceiling, and a state-of-the-art disco ball hangs down from the middle. Kyle is the DJ this year, and although his playlist is probably more hardcore than the faculty will like, I know the students will be more than psyched.

"Alright, guys!"

Eric Lanthe, student council president, claps his hands together. "I think we're done," he continues. "I want to thank all of you for helping out. The Fall Ball's going to be even better this year, thanks to you guys. And the Whooping," he says, winking at me specifically, "Will be the best one yet." As everyone erupts in cheers, I force myself to join them. "Alright," Eric calls out over the noise. "Go home and be ready tomorrow night! And don't forget your masks, people, it's a masquerade ball."

I turn as quickly as possible and grab my backpack from the steps. I'm already halfway out the door, dreading Josh's voice, when it rings out next to me. "Hey man, what's the hurry?"

I slow down. "I'm not in one."

Josh shrugs. "Whatever you say. Hey, can I get a ride home?"

My first instinct is to say no, but I can't do that to my best friend without him getting even more suspicious. "Sure," I say instead.

We walk to the parking lot in silence. Tomorrow is the Fall Ball — and the deadline to complete my pledge. If I don't get to third base with Josh by midnight, I'll lose. I've run through my options a million times now. Should I just tell him my pledge, and see his reaction? Or should I just go for it, and hope he isn't disgusted? Either way, the thought makes me feel sick to my stomach. My determination to win the pledge is equal to my terror of what I have to do to win.

Once we're in the car, I quickly turn on the radio. A loud headbanger comes on, but before long Josh leans forward and turns it down. I put on my best poker face as he turns to talk to me. "I totally forgot to ask. You got a date yet, to the Ball?"

My grip tightens on the steering wheel. Could he be asking what I think he's asking? Am I that obvious? "No, I, uh — I mean —"

"'Cause I have no idea who to ask, bro," Josh continues, oblivious to my panic. "I completely forgot, can you believe it? I mean, I could always ask Katie Hershey last minute, everyone knows she doesn't have a date yet."

I clamp my mouth shut and nod. "Right."

"But I don't know," Josh says, sighing as he slumps in the passenger seat. "What do you think about that new junior? What's her name again, Samantha Branson?"

I can't help it — I laugh. "You want to ask her out but you don't know her name?"

"Her first name is Samantha for sure," Josh says defensively. "Or Susannah." He pauses. "It starts with an S. I know that."

I laugh even harder as I take a turn towards Josh's house. "You should probably figure that out before you ask her."

"I'll wing it, man. So who are you going with?"