9 Ava

"Damn it, Ava, get your ass out of the car."

"No."

"Why the hell not?"

"I'm extremely uncomfortable."

Courtney stands back, sighing loudly. For the first time in a long time, I'm wearing the uniform the same way most of the girls in the Heights do: I traded in my pants for the pleated skirt, found a white button down shirt my size, and rolled up the sleeves of my blazer. Courtney stuffed me in knee high socks, piled chunky bracelets on my wrist that clink together when I move, and curled my hair. I'm miserable.

She sighs again. "I will drag you in there if I have to," and tugs me up by my shoulder bag, also new. I stumble out of the car, nearly breaking my ankle as I do.

"I feel your concern," I say, rubbing my leg.

"Style does not equal practicality," Courtney says matter-of-factly, locking her car and pivoting expertly in her wedges.

The sky is irritatingly blue, the kind of blue that is too cheerful for any mood. Shiny cars cruise outside Fieldbrook Heights, dropping off teenagers who all somehow manage to make the same white and navy uniforms look expensive. Katie Hershey, a bossy girl in our grade, slams her mom's Mercedes door shut and tugs her duffel bag along to the door. Jacob Miller jumps off his bicycle and jogs to the front office. A group of freshman girls giggle by the front steps, pointing to something on an iPhone.

"Let's run through it again," Courtney says. "What do we do when we meet any of the other cheerleaders?"

"Be friendly, but not too friendly. Return any passive aggressiveness," I recite.

"Good," Courtney says. "What do we do when we meet any of the senior guys?"

"Flirt, but keep it light and simple. Remind them that men are lesser creatures."

"Perfect, although I don't think I mentioned that last part. And lastly?"

I sigh and recite Courtney's last reminder back to her. "Biting people is unacceptable."

The hallway quiets once we're inside, all eyes turning to us. It's normal for Courtney, but not me, who's usually lurking behind her.

"Wow, Ava. You've certainly looked worse."

Juliby Singh is leaning by her locker, glossy dark hair in a high ponytail and her sleeves rolled up over her blazer. She's surrounded by a couple of girls on the volleyball team and looking at me with an unimpressed expression.

"Well, Juliby, I guess Courtney finally got through to me," I say in my best attempt at Courtney's advice.

"And doesn't her hair look so good?" Courtney gushes next to me. "Kind of like Selena meets Gigi, don't you think?"

I may not be the best at social cues, but a very general rule is that you just agree when somebody compliments someone else in front of you. Juliby tilts her head, her lips pursing together. "Almost," she says lightly, and turns away to talk to someone else.

"Did you see that?" Courtney whispers to me, gripping my arm. "She's totally jealous!"

I'm just about to let myself relax a little before the girl next to Juliby turns her head to face us. I immediately recognize the wavy, dark blonde hair, high cheekbones and dark eyebrows. Even in the same skirts, her legs look miles longer than mine, something I'd never noticed before the pledge. Completely ignoring me, she asks, "Court, you still on for cheerleading practice?"

"I don't know. I might have to go to the mall with Ava after school," Courtney says casually.

"Okay," Paige says, even though she looks like she is not okay with it. "Well, see you in first period." She addresses her words to Courtney directly, ignoring me.