Hoppo: everything will be okay

HOPPO: EVERYTHING WILL BE OKAY
It started off as a typical day, my husband Hoppo would wake me up before he went to work with a kiss, then I would proceed to go back to sleep for a while before waking up and getting ready to go to work. I worked at a café on the promenade near Bondi, which is where I ended up meeting Hoppo. After my shift at the café ended I would then go home, shower and put on my bikini and wetsuit. I would grab my board and walk to the beach and surf for a while until Hoppo's shift ended before we would walk home together.

My day ran smoothly with everything the same up until the surfing part. The surf was rough and choppy, the perfect condition for snagging a couple big waves. Due to the good condition of the water, the waves drew onslaughts on amateur surfers who were getting hammered by the monster waves. As I was getting ready to stand up on my board and catch the wave back to shore, another surfers boards ran over my back causing me to cry out in pain. The offender didn't even look back to see if I was alright, instead he gave me a dirty look and shouted at me saying "you made me fall off my wave, dumb bitch!". By this point tears were escaping my eyes as all I could feel was pain, it was as if thousands of wasps were stinging me on my lower back. I started drifting in and out of consciousness before I just embraced the darkness and let it loll me to sleep.

I felt myself being placed on something rough and someone shouting distorted words, I peeled my eyes open to be met with the eyes of my husband, Hoppo. "(Y/n), (y/n)! look at me" he said.

"Bruce, it hurts" I whispered out in pain, while tears slowly made their way down my face.

"(Y/n), shhh it's alright, tell me what happened" Hoppo said his voice laced with worry and care.

"I.. I was surfing and this guy went over my back with his board" my voice was slightly hoarse and my tears were starting to fall at a faster rate. Hoppo clutched my hand and wiped the tears of my face and calmly told me " everything will be okay (y/n), don't worry, we're going to have to put you on a spinal board to mobilise you okay. Now can you tell me exactly where it hurts the most?".

"My lower back" I spluttered out while clutching Hoppo's hand tightly.

"We're gonna put you on the spinal board now (y/n)" I heard another voice say, I looked up to see the face of Deano before quietly saying "okay".

"Everything will be fine, you'll be back kicking but on those waves soon, I'm sure of it" said the voice of Harries to which I pulled a smile at.

I was carefully pushed onto my side while something was place where my back used to be before being laid down back down on the spinal board. A neck brace was put on me and I was wrapped in towels to keep me warm. All I was focusing on were the soothing words that Hoppo, Deano and Harries were saying to me.

I could finally hear the sirens of an ambulance and before I knew it I was being carried to a gurney and being loaded into the back of the ambulance. I faintly heard Hoppo telling the paramedics what had happened before he climbed into the back of the ambo and clutched my hand.

2 days later

I had undergone numerous x rays and tests which all showed that I had broken a vertebra, however it wasn't serious and it would heal by itself in a couple of months. The whole way through my hospital visit Hoppo had stayed by my side constantly reassuring and supporting me. After I was discharged Hoppo and I went home and cleaned ourselves up.

Hoppo had his hand on the small of my back guiding me up the stairs to the lifeguard tower. Hoppo knocked on the door and we were met the big smile of Harrison who immediately opened the door wider and proclaimed with his loud kiwi voice "look who's returned!".

Everyone looked up to see me and Hoppo and ran up to greet us and started interrogating us about how I was and what happened.

"It's nothing major I broke one if my vertebra and it'll take a couple months to heal but apart from that I am a okay" I said. We spent the rest of the day talking and nothing else.

As Hoppo and I were leaving the lifeguard tower he put his arm around me and mumbled into my hair "I told you everything would be okay".