Two

Emmett stared down at the girl, who stared right back with a strange sort of intensity...it was eerie. Very, very eerie. She wasn't blinking, which wasn't normal for a human, and her eyes were rather unusual, colored like a storm. I watched her, strangely curious. She didn't feel human....what was she?

Finally, Carina spoke, her statement directed to Emmett.

"You're huge." She tilted her head.
He was unable to resist a snicker and opened his mouth. Somehow, I knew he was about to make an inappropriate comment, and slapped him, glaring fiercely.

"Not in front of a child!" I hissed, too low for human ears to hear.

He pouted, but nevertheless shut his mouth.

Carina noticed this, and almost immediately turned her gaze to me, and I tensed slightly, gripping the edges of my seat tightly as I met her eyes, feeling that telltale click, knowing without words that I had just met the other half of my soul; an onslaught of emotions hit me, and I had to clutch the seat tighter to stop myself from simply reaching out and snatching Carina away. I didn't want to frighten her.

Alice nudged Emmett and gave him a knowing smile, while Edward looked slightly worried, and Jasper's lips twitched. They knew what this meant. I had finally found that person to call my own...and it was a child which, of course, was the problem.

Thankfully, this worked about as well as the mutt's imprinting did; I felt no romantic feelings at the moment, just the strong need to protect and make my mate happy, no more and no less.

"Looks like she's a feisty one, eh, Rose?" teased Emmett, letting out a booming laugh. He poked Carina lightly. "Were you really gonna bite his ear off?"

"Uh huh." Carina nodded, and suddenly shot me a grin, revealing that her canine teeth were ever so slightly pointed. Against my will, my heart warmed at the sight, and I was unable to resist offering her the smallest of smiles in return. "I don't let go."

"She's stubborn," piped up Harry from at our feet. "So she probably would have. She tore the arm off my old teddy."

"Hey!" His godsister protested at this. "It was an accident!"

"It was not!"

"I was three!"

"....his arm is still missing."

"Oh yeah..." She paused. "I buried it in the backyard."

"What?!"

"You cut my hair." She crossed her arms stubbornly. "I needed revenge."

The boy wildly waved a hand at her for emphasis, while Jacob made 'crazy' motions beside him.

I scowled at the insolent boy while Emmett simply sniggered, and Carina narrowed her eyes at him, before suddenly squirming off his lap and falling into Alice's instead.

The pixie-like vampire laughed, and hugged Carina suddenly. She didn't move for a moment, but in the next she found herself gripping my sister tightly around the waist and sticking her tongue out at her family.

Alice shot me a slightly smug look, and I growled softly. Why did she get to hold my mate? Why wasn't I the one with the child in my arms right now? I was tempted yet again to reach out and just take her, but held back and instead settled for observing.

"I'm Alice," introduced Alice brightly, pulling away, but not quite relinquishing her hold. I eyed them. "We're going to be the best of friends, don't you think?"

Carina looked thoughtful for a moment, before her eyes lit up.

"Definitely," agreed Carina, a mischievous grin on her face.

Edward groaned, obviously hearing her thoughts, and shot me a helpless look. It appeared that Carina was already planning ways to wreak havoc with Alice, and I wasn't sure if I liked it or not.