Six

Jacob's P.O.V.
When Dad finally let us back to the house, I began to search for my cousins, hoping that they would still be here, and that this was all just some stupid dream.

"Carina," I called up the stairs, bounding up them and searching the rooms. Nothing. "Harry!" I ran back downstairs and searched the living room, kitchen, and hall. "Uncle Sirius? Guys? Come on, this isn't funny...."

There was no answer.

"Jacob," said Dad carefully, wheeling over and putting his hand on my shoulder. "Son...they're gone. The wizards took them back. You probably won't see them again." I shrugged his hand off and sunk to the floor, dazed. He sighed. "Jake...."

I stared blankly at the wall for a moment, before slowly turning my head to look up at him. "Why would they do that? Where....where did they take Sirius?"

"They want soldiers to fight in their war. Harry is the chosen one, and Carina is from a very dark family—they probably think that, if they get ahold of her first, they can turn her to the light and mold them both into perfect pawns in their game, throw them on the front lines....." Dad sighed again, and his tone darkened. "As for Sirius...they took him to the only place they have for criminals, the wizard prison, Azkaban. We'll be lucky if they don't send the Dementors to suck out his soul..."

The last part wasn't meant for me, and he had muttered it more to himself than anything, but my eyes grew wide and I gasped out, "What?!"

Realizing what he'd done, Dad tried to fix it. "I mean, they might not do that—" I was already rushing out the door. "—Jake, come back! Jacob!"

I bolted into the forest, running as fast and far as I could away from there.

Just this morning I had had two cousins and an uncle—a family. We'd been having fun, enjoying our lives, and now...now all I had was my father. They were gone, and I might never see them again.

They want soldiers to fight in their war.

His words echoed in my head over and over and I pushed myself to run harder.

As for Sirius....they took him to the only place they have for criminals, the wizard prison, Azkaban.

We'll be lucky if they don't send the Dementors to suck out his soul...

Harry is the chosen one, and Carina is from a very dark family—they probably think that, if they get ahold of her first, they can turn her to the light and mold them both into perfect pawns in their game, throw them on the front lines.....

My head was pounding, and I had no idea where I was going. I just needed to get away.

Soldiers.

Pawns in their game.

Throw them on the front lines.

War.

I wasn't watching where I was going and tripped, falling to the ground. I lay there on my stomach for a few seconds before I scooted myself up an against a tree, wrapping my arms around my knees and resting my head on them.

Son...they're gone.

The wizards took them back.

You probably won't see them again.

My eyes stung and a lump formed in my throat; I tried to swallow it, but all of a sudden I choked and soon, hot tears were streaming down my cheeks as I let out a strangled sob.

My family was gone. First it was my mother, and then my sisters moved away.....now my uncle and cousins were trapped in another country....

I miss them.

The Cullens are gone, too, I realized. They won't be coming back either.

I angrily rubbed my eyes, trying to make it seem as though I hadn't been crying and stood, making my way back to my house.

When I got there, Dad gave me a look of relief.

"Jacob, I'm sorry," tried Dad, but I brushed past him and went to my room, throwing myself down on the bed with a loud thump.

Well. My family was gone.

I was here.

I was alone.

But maybe, just maybe, Dad was wrong. Maybe I would see then again.

I mean, Harry and Carina wouldn't just abandon me and not try to contact me somehow. I just have to wait for that, and then I'll know if they're okay or not. They would tell me everything, and someday I would see them again.

I just have to wait.