Twelve

"It's no wonder no one can stand her," Ron was saying to Harry and another classmate of ours, Seamus Finnegan, as they pushed their way through the corridor. "She's a nightmare, honestly!"

He was clearly talking about Hermione, who had corrected him in Charms class when he was doing a spell wrong, hoping to help and, if I wasn't wrong, maybe show off just a little.

Before I could say anything, Hermione suddenly brushed past me, clutching her books to her chest, walking as quickly as she could away from us with her head down.

It made me angry, because I had seen the tears start to fall down her cheeks.

"I think she heard you," Harry told him.

"So?" said Ron, but he looked a little uncomfortable. "She must've noticed she's got no friends."

That...now, that made me angrier.

"What was that?" I said furiously, rounding on him. "You hurt her feelings!"

"Well—" Ron seemed a bit flustered, and his ears turned pink. "—she should stop being such a know it all!"

After all this time, he still didn't like her. "And you should stop being such an idiot!" I furiously whirled on Harry next. "And what about you? I thought she was your friend, too!" Before he could speak, I threw up my hands. "Nevermind. I'm going to give her some space and then go look for her after our classes are over. Next time, think before you speak." I shot a pointed look at Ron and hurried off to class.
__________________________
Once I'd found out Hermione was in the girl's bathroom and Harry, Ron and I figured out that the troll was headed that way, we rushed there as quickly as we could.

As I stared up at the large, hideous, smelly beast, my mind went blank. All I could actually think of was that I had to get Hermione out of there, and fast—she had nearly been smashed into twice, and if she died...

I shook my head.

"Distract it," I whispered to the boys. "I'm going to try and get her out of here."

They nodded, and Harry snatched up a pipe and threw it as hard as he could against the wall. The troll stopped a few feet from Hermione and lumbered around stupidly, looking for what had made the noise. When it saw Harry it hesitated, but then made for him instead.

"Oy, peabrain!" yelled Ron from the other side of the room, tossing a pipe at it's shoulder. When nothing happened, he tried again.

Quickly, I started to run by the troll. I was nearly at the sink Hermione was hiding under when it suddenly whirled on me and swung it's club with a roar.

I managed to duck and began sprinting for the sinks, but the club came swinging again and I saw no other option than to push myself to run harder and suddenly dive for the ground, sliding across the wet floor and slamming straight into Hermione's legs.

"Ugh," I muttered. "Stupid troll..." I sent a glare at Harry and Ron. "I SAID DISTRACT IT, NOT SEND IT TO KILL US!"

"We're trying!" called back Harry, before turning to the troll again and throwing some more pipes. "HEY, OVER HERE!"

All the noise seemed to be driving the troll nuts, and with another roar it started toward Ron, who was the closest and had no way to escape.

I ignored the chaos happening, because we were in the clear for now. My heart beating fast, I turned to Hermione and spoke urgently. "We need to get out of here!" When she didn't respond, I shook her. "Hermione, wake up!"

That seemed to snap her out of her daze.

"You're right," said Hermione quietly, eyes darting toward the door. "But how do we get past it?"

I swallowed, and watched as it dangled my brother upside down. "We have to fight it." Standing on shaky legs, I helped her get to her feet as well and we crept around the sink.

"DO SOMETHING," shouted Harry frantically, narrowly avoiding a hit to the head.

"What?!" exclaimed Ron helplessly.

"ANYTHING!" Harry managed to pull himself up again as the Troll swung a second time. "CARINA, HELP!"

That sent a surge of adrenaline through me, and I rushed forward, jerking out my wand and brandishing it just as Ron did the same with his.

Somehow, as I ran forward, I latched onto the club of the Troll and was swung forward, landing on it's shoulders just as Harry had been before, and spoke the only spell I could think of, twisting my arm at an odd angle to point at the troll.'a eyes.

"Diffindo!" I cried desperately, waving my wand in an angry manner I had seen my Dad do when using the spell. The Troll cried out in pain as it's right eye was slashed open, and that sent another wave of energy through me. This time, I jabbed my wand at it's throat. "Diffindo!"

It's throat had a large gash now, and it began to bleed furiously, covering my legs and part of my robes. The troll staggered. I glanced about wildly and caught sight of Hermione mouthing something to Ron, who looked determined.

"Wingardium Leviosa!" chanted Ron, flicking his wand.

The troll's club was wrenched from it's hand, and through it's pain, it slowly looked up with it's one eye as the club floated higher and higher....until it dropped on it's head.

I screamed as the club nearly hit me and the troll swayed, hastily scrambling around the side of it's head to it's front as it fell backward with a loud thump, sending Harry and I flying.

I skidded across the floor, and when I finally stopped I just lay there on the ground for a moment, before Hermione carefully helped me up, and we made our way to the professors standing in the doorway, gaping.

"What on earth were you thinking?" demanded McGonagall, fury in her voice.

Snape gave Harry a look, and he ducked his head. I did the same, really wishing Ron would put his wand down.

"Please, professor," intervened Hermione in a small voice. "They were looking for me."

"Miss Granger!"

"I went looking for the troll because I-I thought I could deal with it on my own—you know, because I've read all about them." Ron dropped his wand in shock, because this was Hermione Granger, lying to a professor. "If they hadn't found me, I'd be dead mow. Carina cut it's eye and throat, Harry stuck his wand up it's nose, and Ron knocked it out with it's own club. They didn't have time to get anyone. It was about to finish me off when they came."

I managed to keep a straight face, while Harry and Ron tried their hardest to as well.

"Well—in that case..." McGonagall stared down at the four of us, and looked a little disgusted by the blood on me. "Miss Granger, five points will be taken from Gryffindor for this." Hermione hung her head. "I'm very disappointed in you. If you're not hurt at all, you'd better get back to Gryffindor tower. The other students are eating in their houses."  Hermione left, and the professor turned to Harry, Ron and I. "You each win Gryffindor five points." She flicked her wand at me, and I gaped at my robes—all the blood was gone. "You may go."

As we walked back to the tower, I was lost in thought. I had already written to Jake, and I hadn't written to Rose yet....maybe I could tell her about this? I mean, she might freak out, or maybe try to rush here, but the others would stop her, and I really wanted to tell her.

I didn't want her to be worried, but I was already so used to telling her everything...

As we entered the common room, I resolved to write my letter and send it off with Nyx tomorrow.