Chapter 4

Luke was right on time the next morning and Brent made a big show of kissing her goodbye.  Luke gave Annie a bemused grin as they headed to his Jeep.

“Don’t say it.  Don’t ask.”

Luke laughed.  “Ok.  Well, then, on to the next subject.  I talked to Kim about the girls.  She agreed to place them in the spots they requested.  In return, I promised her a little favor.”

Annie groaned.  “Do I want to hear about this?”

“Annie Adams, get your mind out of the gutter.” Luke admonished, pulling from the parking lot.  Then he glanced at her with a grin.  “Though I am impressed that it was there at all.”

Annie glared at him.

“Anyway, she’s having problems with her back tucks and said she could really use someone to give her some pointers.  She really wants access to the trampoline.”

“And?”

“And I volunteered you.”

“What?!” Annie cried.

“You’re a diver, right?  You guys use the trampoline and harness to practice, don’t you?”

Annie stared at him.  “How do you know so much about me?  It’s creepy.”

Luke shrugged.  “I asked around.  You’re not as unknown as you seem to think.”

“I can’t believe you volunteered me without even asking me!”

Luke had the good sense to look sheepish.  “Sorry.  I just kind of said it and now I can’t take it back.  Please, can you do this?”

Annie sighed.  “Do I have a choice?”

Luke grinned.  “Thanks Annie.”

She grumbled a “You’re welcome,” and then promptly ignored him.  By the time they picked up Shasta and Shanikwa she’d managed to put on her happy face.  The girls were thrilled to hear that Kim agreed to give them their favorite spots.

Annie had to admit, Luke was really good with them.

Kim met them outside of the gym at the high school.  She motioned Shasta and Shanikwa inside and then turned back to Annie and Luke.

“Annie, I just wanted to say thanks for agreeing to help me with my tumbling. Working on the tramp will be so great!”

Kim’s hair bounced as she talked and her smile seemed almost too big, but Annie felt that she was sincere.

“Uh, sure, no problem.  Just call me and we’ll work out a time.”

“Great!  Guess I better get back to my job.  I’ll see you guys a little later.”  She gave Luke a quick kiss and bounced her way back inside.

Annie looked up at Luke, but he was way ahead of her.  “Don’t say it.  Don’t ask.” He mocked.

Annie laughed a true, deep belly laugh.  She surprised herself as much as Luke.  It was the first genuinely positive emotion she’d felt since being paired up with him.

“So, what are your plans while we wait?” she asked.

“I was kind of hoping we could start this tutoring thing.”

Annie nodded.  “Bring it on Dukes.  Show me what you’ve got.”

They settled themselves at one of the outdoor lunch tables and Luke showed her the mess he was in.  She eyed the work and then him.

“How are you still playing football?”

Luke drew a deep breath.  “By the skin of my teeth.  If I don’t finish these incompletes in two weeks, I’m toast.  And if I don’t maintain a 2.75 average-”