Chapter 26 (Part 2)

The sun glowed varying shades of orange and yellow as it sank into the ocean, reminding Luke of the way the fire light had danced on Annie’s hair back at the cabin.  He gave the football a hefty toss in Stiller’s direction and then looked back toward the crowd of people gathered in front of the stage.  He couldn’t see Annie or any of the girls for that matter.  They had been swallowed up by the mass of people singing along with the guy dancing around on stage.

Luke had been surprised to find that the country star had performed the entire afternoon barefoot, wearing board shorts, a t-shirt and a backwards baseball cap.  He’d had numerous “guests” drop by to give cameo performances and Luke quickly realized his impression of country music had been off base.  Luke Bryan was far from the cowboy boot, western shirt, Garth Brooks wannabe he had pictured and the music wasn’t filled with the twang he expected.

In fact, one of the guys who came on stage actually rapped.  Colt something-or-other had been his name and while he’d arrived in jeans and a cowboy hat Luke’s jaw had dropped when he heard the guy start to rap.

Though reluctant to admit it, Luke was starting to like Annie’s version of country music.

“Heads up!”

Luke looked away from the stage in time to see the football hurtling in his direction.  He got his hands up in time to keep it from hitting his face.

“You drooling over the bikinis down there or what Dukes?” Stiller yelled.

“Nope, just the guy on stage!” Luke hollered back.

Stiller grinned, his hands coming up in anticipation as Luke threw the ball back to him.

They had spent the day hanging out by or in the water, letting the girls fight the fans at the stage.  Dave had gone with them and to Luke’s chagrin, Grant.  He knew Annie wouldn’t let the guy put the moves on her – or at least wouldn’t reciprocate if he did.  It bothered him, none the less.  At one point he had spotted the five of them as Grant had hoisted Annie up on his shoulders so she could get pictures on her cell.  He didn’t like the way his hands had wrapped around Annie’s thighs even though it was necessary to keep her from falling.  It spoke of a familiarity and intimacy between them he didn’t like, which is exactly what Grant wanted, he was sure.

“I think we should give it up before we can’t see anymore.” Stiller called.

Luke nodded, knowing the sun would soon disappear and the only light would be that from the stage. 

“You wanna go find them?”

Luke studied the large group of people before them, wondering if that would even be possible.  A massive roar went up as Luke Bryan conceded the stage to his biggest guests of the night, Florida Georgia Line.  Once again Luke was surprised to see two normal looking guys come out on stage in jeans and t-shirts, looking completely laidback and un-country.

It was also when his eyes fell upon two girls as they rose out of the crowd, obviously hoisted up by their guys.  Annie and Jen.

He pointed, saying to Stiller, “Found them.  Let’s go.”

Luke heard but didn’t pay attention to what the guys on stage were saying as they approached the crowd and plunged inside.  He did hear them start singing and immediately recognized the song.  This wasn’t the Nelly version that Annie rapped to but it was the same song and when they finally found them she was unabashedly singing along, still perched on Grant’s shoulders.

She was obviously drunk and having a great time which Luke couldn’t begrudge her for.  This year had been rough, especially the past two months and she deserved to let loose.  He just wished it didn’t have to be with Grant Wilson.