Let's Get One Thing Straight: I'm Not {10}

I took a deep breath and wrapped my arms around Lacey tightly. “I’m going to miss you so much Lacey. Make sure you call me!” I cried. She was shaking violently. I heard her sniff as we pulled away. She gave me a weak smile and wiped the tears from her eyes. “Bye Maxi. I love you. And I’ll call you so much you’ll wish I wouldn’t!”

                I laughed. “I’ll never get sick of hearing your beautiful voice,” I said with a wink. She laughed and rubbed at her eyes again.

                “I’m sorry Lacey but we have to go now. We’ll bring you back over the summer to hang out with Max and everyone,” Lacey’s mom said with a small smile.

                “Okay mom. Bye Max. I’ll see you again during the summer and I’m totally calling you all the time!” Lacey cried and we hugged tightly.

                I walked Lacey to the car and waved to her and her parents as they got in and drove away. I stood watching the car drive down the street. It disappeared and I finally let my eyes water.

                I didn’t want Lacey to see me cry. I took a shuddery breath and headed away from Lacey’s old house before I burst into tears. I rubbed at my eyes and went over to a familiar house. I knocked on the door and waited until Nason answered.

                “Max! Did she leave?” he asked with a frown. Lacey had said goodbye to everyone else yesterday. I nodded sadly and he hugged me before letting me in.

                Nason and I had hung out every day since Lacey had introduced us and we had actually become really close in that short time.

                “Dad, Zip is here!” Nason called as we headed towards his room. “Hey Max!” his dad called cheerfully. “Hi Mr. Brown!” I called.

                Nason was a big fan of the Final Destination series, just like me. I absolutely loved the 3rd movie and Kris and Alexz were my favorite. The same went for Nason. We had watched the movie together about 3 times and started calling each other Zip and Pip just like Kris and Alexz.  (A.N.- Sorry, I have an obsession with that movie :p)

                “So you gonna be okay Zip?” he asked with a frown. I nodded slowly. “I sure hope so Pip,” I whispered. He pat me on the back and smiled. “Let’s go to the park and get some fresh air. My room smells like shit.” I laughed a little and followed him outside.

                We talked casually as we walked to the park. We got there and sat down on the swings together, still talking. “Do you work at Little Caesars? Cause you’re hot and I’m ready,” Nason said with a wink. I rolled my eyes. I looked up and frowned deeply. “Hey Pip…we’ve got a problem.”

                Owen, Pierce, and Noah were walking towards us.

                I don’t think they’d noticed us yet. I wanted to get out of there before they did. Noah and I hadn’t talked in over a week. He had dumped his girlfriend and was back to being single.

                Nason frowned. “What is it Zip? You know them?” I gulped and nodded. “I’ll explain on the way. Please can we leave?” I begged quietly, hoping they wouldn’t hear me. Nason nodded. “Of course Max! Let’s go,” he said, lowering his voice and jumping off the swing.

                We began to creep away but I felt someone’s arms wrapping around my waist. Before I knew what was happening, someone had me swinging around. I struggled desperately to get free from their grasp and Owen grinned at me.

                “Hello Maxwell! Felt like spinning you around.” I shook my head at him. “Gonna introduce us to your friend Maxi?” Pierce asked, staring Nason down.

                “Um…guys, this is Nason. Nason, this is Owen, Pierce, and Noah,” I said nervously. “Hi!” Noah said brightly, bouncing over and happily shaking Nason’s hand. “Hi!” Nason said with a friendly smile.

                “Hi Nason,” Owen said, eyeing him carefully. “Hello. It’s nice to meet the 3 of you,” Nason said, offering the friendly smile to all of them.

                “It’s nice to meet you too,” Noah said. “So, uh, I haven’t really talked to you guys in a while. What’s been going on?” I asked curiously.

                “The usual. Noah’s single and Pierce is dating Andre,” Owen said casually. I stared at Pierce wide eyed as he shifted nervously. “Yea,” he said quietly. “I’m back with Andre.”

                “Why?” I asked and blushed. “Sorry! That was rude,” I mumbled. Pierce chuckled. “Because. A lot went on between us Max. Too much to just get over.” I nodded like I understood. Being honest, I had no clue what was going on. Why would Pierce go back to Andre?

                My phone buzzed and I checked it and rolled my eyes. “Pip! You forgot to tell your dad we were leaving. Is your phone on silent?” Nason checked his phone and laughed. “Oops!” he cried and turned it on vibrate.

                “Pip?” Noah asked curiously. “Like Pip and Zip from Freaks?” We nodded. “Rightfully stolen out of Final Destination 3 which rightfully stole it from Freaks!” Nason said joyfully as he shoved his phone back in his pocket.

                Noah’s expression almost looked hurt. “Pon?” he asked with a weak smile. My chest exploded into pain. Noah and I used to call each other Pon and Zi. I can’t even remember why we stopped doing it or even when we stopped.

                I nodded slowly. “Yea Noah. Like Pon and Zi,” I said with a slight shrug. “Zip, we’ve got to go. My dad wants us there for dinner,” Nason said, glaring at his cell phone.

                “Bye guys. I’ll talk to you all later,” I called as Nason and I took off for his house. “So what’s the story with them?” Nason asked curiously. I sighed. “It’s confusing and complicated.” He nodded in understanding as we approached his house.

                He stopped me when we were walking up his driveway. “What’s up Pip?” I asked curiously. Why did he stop me in the middle of his driveway? He smiled at me a bit nervously.

                “Max, I know we’ve only known each other for a little and I might be rushing things, but I feel like we’ve gotten really close and I’d really like to have the honor of calling you my boyfriend,” he said.

                I smiled. “Well Pip, prepare to be called my boyfriend,” I said. He jumped up and hugged me tightly. I laughed, thoughts of Noah and Pierce erased from my mind for the moment.