One Down

Tyrese led his team into a large church on the outskirts of the city. He stopped and bent over, hands on his knees, trying to catch his breath. After a short minute he turned to check his team. His eyes widened.

"Eddie," he said quietly, "Where's Sam and Carly?"

Eddie frowned and checked behind him; his expression became bewildered.

Tyrese threw up his hands, "I give you one thing to do, one thing, and you drop the ball on that?!"

"I'm sorry!" Eddie protested, "I ain't signed up for all this!" his voice got higher, "I got aliens blasting at me, running around, chasing me! I'm ducking through churches and buildings and all that kind of crap! I ain't signed up for this, Tyrese!" He took a deep breath and slowly lowered his flailing arms, "But I'm keeping it together though."

Tyrese rolled his eyes, "Alright, let's keep moving!"

Meanwhile, Sam and Carly ran hand-in-hand through the deserted streets, dodging trashed cars and struggling to breathe in the smoky air. The pair ducked behind a car for a moment to rest. Then a nasal, alien voice sounded from immediately next to them, causing their skin to crawl.

"Ah, what a treat!" exclaimed Starscream, "You and me, alone,"

Sam glanced seriously at Carly, "Run."

He felt as if his lungs would burst, but he had to get Carly to safety.

"I do love it when your insect feet try to run," laughed Starscream, following them with ease.

"Quick," whispered Carly, "In here,"

They ducked into a bus on its side.

"You cannot hide, boy!" Starscream proceeded to saw the bus in half, showering the couple in sparks.

"Over there!" Sam pushed Carly towards the bus stop, forcing her to take cover behind the short wall there.

"Sam, don't!" she cried, watching him take out the grappling hook Q had given to him. He swiftly thrust his hand into the device and triggered it. The hook sprung into the air, the wire spiraling behind it, and latched onto Starscream's right eye.

"AHHH my EYE!"

Starscream began stomping around in distress like an angry hippo before Sam could unclasp the device from his hand. He danced around the alien's giant feet, struggling to maintain his balance. 

The color drained from his face as Starscream opened his wings. Sam let out a strangled scream as he was hoisted into the air. There was nothing he could do. Starscream failed to take off completely, wrenching Sam around like he was a swing ball. Carly was crying out to him, no, not to him, to Major Lennox.

"Thank goodness you've finally managed to get here!" Sam screamed down to him, as Starscream fell back to the ground. His stomach squirmed as he dropped through the air. His fall was cut short by a window ledge. Thinking fast on his feet, he quickly pulled out the grenade. It was in the shape of an icicle, with the pin through the middle. He waited until Starscream swayed backwards, and then launched himself onto his head, shoving the boom stick deep into his other eye and pulling the pin at the same time.

"I can't see I can't SEE!" Starscream screeched, falling forwards on to his face and throwing Sam clear. Major Lennox rushed forwards.

"I'm stuck!" cried Sam.

"Here," said Major Lennox, "Let me try."

He took hold of the wire, just as Starscream attempted to take flight again. Both men were hauled into the air, screaming at the top of their lungs. 

The grenade went off. Starscream's head was instantly blown to pieces. Sam and Major Lennox screamed even louder, and Carly screamed with them, as they fell. Out of nowhere, Bumble Bee sped to the rescue. He jumped upwards and caught them both, pulling them out the way of Starscream's burning body.

"Well," said Sam, "He's dead."

"Uh-huh," murmured Major Lennox; too shocked to form proper words.

Major Lennox returned to his men with Sam and Carly, and was pleasantly surprised to see that Tyrese had joined them.

"Please tell me you have a plan to take down that pillar," he said.

"We need to get across the river but I have no idea how to get that bridge down!"

****

Mearing was seething and close to spitting acid as she watched the men on Dutch's screen standing around doing nothing.

"What do they think they're doing!" she barked.

"It's like they're waiting for something," said Dutch.

Agent Simmons rubbed his chin, thinking.

"Dutch, do you think you could get the bridge down?"

His eyes brightened at having more challenges, "Ah, let me see."

For a few minutes there was silence, punctured only by Dutch tapping away on his keyboard.

"Can you do it?" asked Mearing.

"Hmm, it has a triple encryption, it's difficult." Dutch sat back in silence for a moment before leaning forwards, "But not for me! Bridge – down." He pressed a single key.