✟ Prologue

Lauren sat at the bar staring at her left hand, that held the Heart Shaped Yellow Diamond ring that estimated to $100,000. She wasn't sure if it was an engagement ring, a promise ring, or just something to keep her satisfied for the time being.

What she did know, was that it complimented the China Glaze Son of a Peach nail polish on her fresh nails she'd spent all day in the nail shop getting done. Ling ling really made sure her cuticles were on point.

"You sure you don't need any help, Rissa?" Lauren asked pushing her freshly silk pressed hair over her shoulder, as she watched her friend move around the kitchen.

Marissa held a honey brown complexion, with downturned brown eyes that always held a determined look in them being that she was a woman who always went after what she wanted. A broad nose sitting over her angelic dull pink lips that weren't too big or small, and natural black hair that hung to the middle of her back.

Her firm thighs were slightly touching in the white leggings she wore, that also complimented her firm rounded ass. The grey loose fitting tank top she wore hung low enough for you to see her firm c-cup breasts.

Nothing on Marissa's body was too big, or too small it just simply fit her well. She was probably one of the few women left, who hadn't pumped her body with shots or silicone and her body was well proportioned. Everything about her was natural which was something her man loved about her.

"Positive, relax," Marissa said sending her a smile, before opening the stainless steel fridge putting away the food that was in the Tupperware containers.

She'd had a girls night over at her loft, due to the fact she hadn't spent much time with her girls since she was new to being a mother. The girls night was long overdue.

Lauren rubbed her thick lips together and looked around the loft taking in how nice it was. High ceilings, ceiling to floor windows, and expensive furniture as well as art.

Marissa really did come up.

Marissa wiped down the countertops in her kitchen, housed by walnut cabinets and stainless steel appliances. The granite countertops gave it an even better effect.

She stopped wiping down the countertops and glanced at her friend who appeared to be in deep thought. Although Lauren's eyes were fixated on her ring, Marissa could see the sadness etched in her face.

Wiping down the sink now, Marissa let out a sigh before speaking. "What's wrong La?" She asked curiously.

Lauren looked up at her friend, furrowing her neat eyebrows together completely caught off guard by the question. She tried not to share her business with her friends but made the exception with Marissa because they were damn near sisters due to how close they were.

"I don't know whether Ro gave me this ring as an engagement ring, a promise ring, or if he just got tired of me complaining about me not waiting on him forever," Lauren mumbled resting her fist against the side of her face.

Marissa giggled as she took the dish rag into the laundry room that was nearby tossing it into the machine with a set of dirty towels and rags to be washed. After starting the machine, Marissa walked back into the kitchen and leaned against the island folding her arms.

"Knowing Ro, I'm sure it wasn't an engagement ring and I believe he loves you too much for it to be a ring to shut you up. A promise ring seems reasonable, why are you stressing?" She asked staring at her friend, who's shoulders dropped in defeat.

Lauren let out a sigh and ran a hand through her hair. "I don't know, maybe it's me being emotional due to pregnancy." Lauren lied, knowing there was much more to the story.