'Sides I got an itch

Bliss smiled when she saw her aunt's tidy, practical kitchen. It resembled her aunt's personality to a tee. From the polished wood floors to the soft orange curtains gracing the windows."Orange curtains." She shook her head with a smile. Her dear aunt, mostly a regular sweet lady, had a small wild side that she wasn't ashamed to show. She had spunk. Bliss admired her aunt greatly. To come out west and start over without anybodys help or support. It took spunk, something her dear aunt had always had plenty of. Going to the indoor pump she filled a glass full of refreshing water. Truth be told, she was weary. Weary of the boring life she had led back home. She looked everything like her dear mother but Bliss had her Aunt Belle's heart. She longed for everyday life to be an endless quest of adventure. No, she wasn't the type to case after the gold rumored of in California. That was not the adventure she yearned for. She wanted to live each day to the fullest. She needed to know each morning that she was alive! Bliss' favorite quote was from Mark Twain. She quoted it often, determined to live it every minute she was alive. '"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.'

"Sail away from the safe harbor." She whispered fervently to the orange curtained window. "Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore! Dream! Discover!" Closing her eyes to the sun coming through the window, Bliss thrilled at the feel of the light on her face.

Eyes shining with the light of life, Bliss decided that she needed a good adventurous walk more then she needed a snack and a nap. Putting her glass of water on the counter beside the pump, Bliss hurried outside. It was a beautiful day. Surely nothing could ruin such a day like this! Gathering her skirt, Bliss hurried down the porch stairs and onto the dusty sidewalk. "Flowers." She said catching sight of the beautiful blossoms gracing her auntie's gardening beds. "Auntie's kitchen is missing flowers!"

She skipped over to her aunt's flower beds and began selecting the most beautiful blossoms. Humming a sweet tune she gathered as many flowers as her dainty hands could hold. Aunt Belle would surely be cheered to have some flowers in her room as well. Bliss rose up with her handful of flowers and surveyed the town. This was a perfect place to settle. A place that showed nature's beauty freely. A place where Bliss could feel perfectly happy. A place where she was free to dream to the imaginations limit. A place where she could pursue her dreams. This small western town represented all of those things to the young hopeful Bliss.And she wouldn't let life let her down. Her future held great things just waiting to be uncovered by time. She would find her future here, she was sure of it.

"Auntie, don't you worry one bit!" Bliss smiled at her beloved aunt. "Mama taught me how to be a good seamstress. I don't mean to sound boastful, Auntie dear, but I do have excellent skills with a needle. Besides," she cheerfully added, "most your customers are men anyways, as long as their shirts don't fall off they won't know if they were beautifully sewn or not!"

Aunt Belle attempted a scowl at her cheerful niece. "Bliss, this is my livlihood! I ain't have'n it fall to the wayside-"

"Exactly, Auntie." Bliss interrupted, " And that's why I'm here." Leaning down, she pressed a soft kiss to her aunt's cheek. "Set your worries at ease, Dear. I won't do your business harm. But the shop has been closed for almost a week. It's time someone start sewing for the folks in this town again. Besides, that is why I came out here."

Aunt Belle smiled at her niece. "At least bring me some sew'n so I can help ya."

"Nonsense!" Bliss declared. "You are recuperating! You must do things you enjoy, not work. Ah!" She held up a hand to halt her aunt's protest. "You will most likely not get another chance to have such relaxation without work. Take it while you can! Auntie, I won't hear of you doing

otherwise!"

"You are a bossy thing, young lady!"

Bliss giggled, knowing that she had won this argument for the time being. "I am."

Aunt Belle scowled at her. "Fine." She admitted with little grace. " I will rest, but only for two days. Then, my dear niece, I'm gettin' up and help you work and there ain't a thing ya can do about it!"

Bliss smiled at her aunt. Always the fighter even when she was down. Bliss had won this argument and she had lived with an over-protective brother long enough to know that you had to pick your battles... and the time you wished to wage them. "Auntie dear, we will discuss that in two days. In the meantime, I am late for opening." Bliss moved to the bedroom door. "I will see you at lunch, dearest. Now relax!" Turning, she gracefully exited her aunt's bedroom.

"You are the one who should be relaxin'!" Her aunt called after her.

Bliss hurried down the stairs and out the front door. For a few seconds, she stood on the porch gazing at the small town. Her future may be here, but right now, she needed to focus on the present. And men's shirts. Hurrying down the stone walk, Bliss walked the short distance to her aunt's shop.

"Sir, please hold still!" Bliss was growing more then a little irritated with the small, slender man. "If you keep moving my measurements will be wrong and the shirt won't fit properly!"

" Ain't used to a purty female taken my numbers, Miss." The small man mumbled. " 'Sides, I got an itch and yer jest taken' to much time."

Bliss sighed and chewed her bottom lip as she watched the man fidget. This was impossible! Sewing a dress and doing embroidery was one thing. This was pure torture! How could her aunt do this everyday? Bliss was sure if she had to spend ten more minutes with the man she would say no to the shirt and he could go along without it. Wouldn't that be a sight? One shirt-less man. Of course, folks may not think much of it in the fine weather. But the weather didn't stay this warm all year 'round. "Will you give me just one minute of complete stillness? Then I promise you can go."

The man reluctantly nodded. "Hurry it up. Cain't waste too much time on a dumb ol' shirt."

And that was the only customer Bliss had all day. Oh, many folks came into the shop, but only to ogle Mary Belle's 'city' niece. After several long, tiring hours, Bliss walked back to her auntie's house to prepare the noon meal. This adventure wasn't turning out as she expected it.

A/N- THANKS FOR CHECKING OUT MY STORY! IF YOU LIKED IT PLEASE VOTE!

EVERY VOTE AND COMMENT MAKES MY DAY!

ALSO, IF YOU HAVE A HISTORICAL ROMANCE YOU WANT ME TO CHECK OUT, TELL ME THE TITLE IN A COMMENT AND I"D BE GLAD TO TAKE A LOOK!

I LOVE HISTORICAL ROMANCES AND I'M ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ANOTHER GOOD ONE!

CHCEK OUT MY OTHER STORIES TOO!

HAVE A GREAT DAY<