Fried Mice

Kinda short, sorry. But it is about Jude and Bliss! Mostly Jude though. Let me know what you think of it! BTW this is dedicated to my newest follower: Charlzke. Thanks!! Happy reading! L.R

Jude walked from his barn to the house, a hammer and a pail of nails with him. Though it would cost him a bit of work today, breaking the window last night had been a good option. Especially since he had wanted nothing more then to stay locked away with that tempting little siren. Jude smoothed the deer hide over the open window and added a few nails to hold it securely until he could order a new pane. That little girl was sure a tasty treat.

 Jude had never had so much difficulty repelling a woman's charms. But Bliss, she didn't seem to know she was using any charms. She was sweet and sassy. Adventurous and beautiful. She was a wonderful help to her aunt. Everything about her seemed to be a contradiction of what a lady should be and yet Jude was attracted to her. He loved her spirit. Her youthful innocence. She had a smile that could instantly make everything seem all right. Even if it wasn't. An unconcious smile spread across Jude's face as he thought about Bliss and her smiling lips. As he thought about the feel of her lips moving with his.  

Taking her home had been the right thing to do. Even so, he couldn't resist a light, chaste kiss goodbye. 

"Why do I have the feeling that girl will be the end of me?" He spoke the words aloud to the wind and trees, in hopes that hearing them spoken would reinforce his feelings that he needed to stay away from her. Things could get dirty with his brother. Ever since Jude had moved, started going by his middle name and rearranged the letters of his last name, he had been safe from his brother. So far, he hadn't heard one thing from his brother. Of course, with his brother out to gain his inheritance, Jude couldn't help but make sure his brother knew that he was living and well. Every six months, Jude would travel a long distance. One time he even went a thousand miles, just to mail a letter to his lawyer and his brother assuring them of his health and happiness. Each letter being sealed with the official Ridry seal. 

Jude S. Rydir knew that his brother would not stop searching for him. Drake would not quite until Jude's body was in a casket and the money and title officially belonged to him.  Jude, however, enjoyed the games he played with his brother. He enjoyed making his brother struggle for the title he was determined to steal. Even so, Jude knew that he shouldn't carry on his games for very much longer. There was an heir to produce and responsibilities at home to oversee. Jude was sure that Drake was not caring for those responsibilities as a man in such a position should. Even so, the ultimate responsibility fell of Jude's shoulders. He had been away for far too long. Jude gazed into the distance as his thoughts drifted away from his brother and back to Bliss. Perhaps she would become his wife. Perhaps they could create the family life that Jude had always yearned for. 

"Who are you kidding?" Jude muttered to himself  "She doesn't even know that your first name. What makes you think a woman so in love with adventure would give up her freedom for life as the wife of a duke?" 

Jude turned his back to his modest cabin and took his nails and hammer back to the barn.  Most dukes raised cain as a rake, or else, did as they should by seeing to their duchy with care. Not Stefon Jude Ridry, however. Oh no, he had to become his brother's enemy, flee for his life, and  torture said brother with the fact that he was alive and well somewhere.

Suddenly, his happy mood seemed to disappear. Bliss would never want him. His brother wouldn't  rest until he was dead. His options were either to ignore his duties and hide forever. Fake his death so the title could fall to his brother. Or return to his home, set his brother in his rightful place and resume his responsibilities as duke. Why couldn't his life choices be simpler?  

He continued to study the fields when a rider suddenly appeared. Furrowing his brow, his boots moved steadily over the ground to meet his guest. Jude's eyebrows rose nearly to his hairline as he saw just who was coming toward him. The horse slowed to a near stop as he covered the distance between them.

"I see no one tied and drug you here today." He greeted her.

Bliss smiled, her eyes shining brightly. "True. Though I must tell you, I only came to bring you 

this basket."

Stepping forward, Jude accepted the basket from her as she gracefully slipped from the horses back. "What's in it? Fried mice?"

Bliss laughed as she took it from him. "No, though if I had know that was your favorite..." 

Jude led her horse closer to his house as she fell in step beside him. "That is definitely not my favorite." He quickly assured her. 

"Well good. Because I decided to bring you fried chicken, scalloped potatoes, and apple pie."

Jude stopped and turned to stare at the girl. A look of surprise covered his features as he tried to figure the girl out. She brought him food. Why? He barely knew her. They hadn't been properly introduced. Jude shook his head, this isn't the east but still. Why would she trouble herself?

"Come into the house and I'll fix you up a plate for the noon meal." She called over her shoulder as she mounted the porch steps. 

Jude quickly tied her horse off and followed her into his house.

"Wash up.It'll just take a minute." She told him as she set the basket on the table and started to take the food out of it. 

Jude stood quietly in the doorway watching as she scurried around his lonely kitchen getting this and that. "Why did you bring that?" 

Bliss looked up in surprise. Was he angry that she took it upon herself to bring him a meal? Most folks were usually grateful for a home cooked meal. Surely he wouldn't send her away with it. "You seemed perfectly inadequate in the kitchen so I decided you might like to try what normal people are eating these days." She cheerfully said, even as she prayed that he would let her stay. Bliss enjoyed Jude's company and he did seem to be rather lonesome.

Without another word, Jude moved over to that table to stand next to Bliss. He looked down at the table, eyeing everything that she had brought and laid out for him. Reaching out he picked up a folk. Bringing it closer t his face, he turned it first one way and them another, studying it carefully. The entire time, Bliss watched him, wondering just what he was about. Finally he looked up at her. "Bliss." He spoke softly, his white eyes searching hers.

"Yes?" Bliss breathed wondering why he came so close and why did he speak so softly. His tone was reminding her of things she preferred not to think of just now. Heaven forbid if he should see her blush!

"What is this strange thing?" He asked as he extended the fork to her. 

 "Oh, you!" Bliss blushed pink as she snatched the fork from him and put it back on the table. And to think, she thought he had something important to say to her. "Go wash up before I take my food away and you can just have fried mice!"

Jude walked from the kitchen, his rumbling laughter following him out.

A/N- THANKS FOR CHECKING OUT MY STORY! IF YOU LIKED IT PLEASE VOTE!

EVERY VOTE AND COMMENT MAKES MY DAY!

ALSO, IF YOU HAVE A HISTORICAL ROMANCE YOU WANT ME TO CHECK OUT, TELL ME THE TITLE IN A COMMENT AND I"D BE GLAD TO TAKE A LOOK!

I LOVE HISTORICAL ROMANCES AND I'M ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ANOTHER GOOD ONE!

CHCEK OUT MY OTHER STORIES TOO!

HAVE A GREAT DAY<