Expectations // J.W.

requested by stydiaokay

-

"Rosie, come on! Your Auntie Allison and Uncle Scott have a giant rest of the day planned for you."

"Mommy, I wanna stay with you," she whined.

"Victoria is home."

"Yay! Let's go, Mommy. Hurry up!"

Zara smiled at her daughter's reaction. Rosie loved Victoria. Although Allison's daughter is two months older, the way the two children acted together made them seem more like sisters than cousins.

After listening to Kids Bop, Zara and Rosie were at Allison and Scott's house. "Go ring the bell," she encouraged her daughter. Zara lifted Rosie up and let her push the button. They heard a scream from the inside.

"GRACIOUS, VICTORIA PUT THE KNIFE DOWN."

The door opened. When little Victoria McCall saw her cousin, she dropped the knife, which landed on Scott's foot, then ran to hug Rosie.

"Wanna play with my new Nerf Rebelle?!" Victoria screamed.

"Bye, Mommy! Love you, I'm going to play with Victoria!!" Rosie kissed Zara on the cheek and the two four year olds ran upstairs.

"How's your foot Scott?" Zara laughed while taking her shoes off.

"Healing," he grumbled.

"I see she's taking on the huntress side of the family. No wolfiness?"

"Not the slightest. What about Rosie?"

"She made her eyes glow. Finally."

"Oh, hi Zara!" Allison emerged from the kitchen. She and Zara hugged. "Ooh, Scott. I told you to hide that knife from Victoria."

"Well I guess she's as good as finding stuff like her mother."

"Thanks for watching her tonight."

Allison smiled, "No worries."

"We totally get that it's you and Jackson's two year anniversary, so we decided to gift you with letting little Rosie sleep over. Victoria picked clothes out for her, we bought some toothbrushes, a hairbrush, and a blanket. You two can have all the fun you want... if you know what I mean."

"Scott!" Allison laughed. Zara let out a giggle. Scott gave a puppyish smile. "Well, what he said is true. You can pick her up around noon tomorrow." After Zara gave thanks, she left, and went back to the apartment to change into the dress Lydia bought her.

It was a little black dress. She put on black flats, a gold locket from Malia, and a clutch from Kira. Zara sat on the couch, waiting for Jackson to come home. When she heard the keys twist the lock, she looked up from watching Serendipity.

"Hey, Jackson," she smiled. "Can I get a hug?"

"Sorry babe. Long day at work. I think I'm going to nap it off. Come cuddle later."

With that, he disappeared into their bedroom. Zara was devastated. Why didn't he remember? He didn't even make eye contact. What did I do? She thought. A little angry, but filled with devastation, Zara kicked off her shoes and fell a sleep, knowing it would take Jackson forever to wake her.

***

"Jackson!" Zara growled. "My feet are cold. Get me a blanket please!"

Zara's toes wiggled and felt cold. She tried opening her eyes, but couldn't. She assumed she was too tired. Then she realized the familiar minty aftershave and strong arms around her waist. Deep breaths hitting her neck. There was a rustling noise every once in a while and cold wind blowed her hair. She was put down but turned around. Something was taken off her face.

A familiar warm moonlight shone in her eyes. The big body of water looked like a painting. It was all too familiar.

***

"I can't do this!!"

"Zara, step away from the cliff. I don't want you getting hurt."

"It already hurts, Jackson! The full moon is painful. I can't take it!"

"That's why you have me."

"Stop being so nice. It needs to end. Now."

Zara took a step and began to fall. Her heart jumped in her chest. She was ending it.

Suddenly something grabbed her. Jackson grabbed her. He pulled her up and cradled her in his arms.

"You're not ending it. We'll get through the moons together."

***

"Jackson." Zara turned around. She stepped back a little. "You remembered."

"Goodness, I was such a jerk in high school. Then I turned. Then I saved you. I protected you. You accepted me. We had our first kiss in my dorm room. We made Rosie during our summer vacation a few years back. We moved in together. I love you. You love me."

"What are you doing?" She asked. Zara's eyes teared up. Jackson got down on one knee.

"You made me such a better person. I'm grateful. I love you. Zara, you're my anchor. So will you do me the favor of saying yes to being my wife? Will you marry me?" He pulled out a velvet box and popped it open, revealing a diamond ring. "Don't worry, it's platinum, not silver."

Zara giggled and tackled him in a hug. "I do." She kissed him, and for the rest of the night, they laid together on a few blankets, watching the stars.

-

sorry the end is kind of different than the request, i still hope you like it! happy holidays xo