File 03: Yearning

1

-

We found Takeda Shunsuke -

Miyagawa received that news at about noon. He moved to the wireless to give instructions immediately.

'Report the situation!'

He yelled at the wireless. The other investigation team members who were still in the room gathered round as well.

The nerves in the detective room had peaked.

<Arai spotted him in the back of a building by the scene and is chasing him.>

The one who answered was the detective in command at the scene, Shimizu.

Shimizu and the team had received information from an eyewitness who had sighted Takeda and had been questioning civilians near the abandoned building. They had spotted him coincidentally.

'Were you able to confirm it was Takeda?'

<No, it isn't clear...>

Miyagawa felt irritated by the vague response.

'Was there anyone else who saw him?'

<There was not. Only Arai did.>

'Weren't any other investigation members nearby?'

<He had just happened to go elsewhere for a task and spotted Takeda then, so...>

Shimizu was being completely unclear. Well, fine. They'd give their undivided attention to catching Takeda now.

Miyagawa cleared his mind of his irritation.

'Where are you stationed?'

<He was sighted escaping northward on a prefecture road in 3-chome. Naitou and I are following after Arai.>

Miyagawa followed the location with his finger on the enlarged map on his desk.

He was spotted near this building, went onto the prefectural road and headed north - if it went well, they might catch up.

'I'll send reinforcements.'

When Miyagawa pointed at the map, the four investigation members by his desk ran out of the room.

If they went ahead and blockaded the escape routes, they would definitely be able to stop him.

'I won't let him get away.'

Miyagawa gritted his teeth.

<We will reach him soon.>

A message came from Shimizu over the wireless.

- I'll finally be able to catch Takeda.

The event that took fifteen years would come to an end. When Miyagawa thought that, he felt exhilarated.

There was silence -

They might be able to secure Takeda before reinforcements arrived.

Sweat rolled down Miyagawa's back in his nervous state.

<This is Shimizu.>

The hesitant voice made Miyagawa's heart beat more quickly.

'What happened?'

<Er... That is...>

'What!? Say it clearly!' yelled Miyagawa.

<It seems we have lost him...>

'Lost?'

<I sincerely apologise.>

'You bastard! Do you know what you're saying? You're not playing tag!'