SECRET FILES - bonds

File 01 - Each wish: prologue

-

After Ozawa Haruka's lecture was finished, she climbed a sloping road lined with gingko trees in order to meet somebody.

Yellow leaves fluttered down around her.

Autumn had finally come.

Last night, Isshin, the uncle of Haruka's university friend, Saitou Yakumo, called her.

- If you have time, I'd like you to come by after school.

It was a welcome invitation to Haruka.

After climbing the slope, she saw the gates of the temple.

Next to them, she spotted Isshin, a priest cleaning the garden in his working clothes with a bamboo broom in hand.

Isshin waved his hand with a large gesture before Haruka could call out.

'Hello.'

Haruka stopped in front of the gates and bowed.

'Thanks for coming.'

On Isshin's face, as gentle as Maitreya's, his left eye was dyed red. He wore a red contact lens.

There was a reason that Isshin wore an asymmetrical contact lens.

It was from his love towards his nephew, Yakumo.

Yakumo had had a red left eye ever since he was born which had the unique ability to see the spirits of the dead.

Because of that ability, he was alienated and thought of as strange; even his own mother tried to kill him.

Isshin made his own left eye and bared it so that he might understand even slightly the pain that Yakumo felt.

'Is it really all right for me to come?' Haruka asked Isshin.

'Of course. Today is a special day.'

Isshin's eyes closed as he smiled.

'A special day?'

'Yes. That's why I thought we could continue the conversation we had before.'

'About Yakumo-kun's past... is it?'

Isshin replied to Haruka's question with a nod.

About a week again, Haruka came here because of a case and Isshin tried to talk about Yakumo's past.

However, Yakumo himself cut Isshin off.

- Come hear about it later.

Isshin had whispered that in Haruka's ear then.

It appeared that Isshin hadn't just been saying that before.

Haruka felt opposed to hearing about Yakumo's past when he didn't want to talk about it himself, but at the same time, she still wanted to know more about Yakumo, even if it was just a little.

To Haruka, Yakumo wasn't just a university friend.

Meeting Yakumo had been the start of Haruka's involvement in incidents with ghosts.

Because of Yakumo's unique ability to see the spirits of the dead, he would solve the mysteries behind spiritual phenomena and lead unsolved murder cases to their solution.

Haruka had been involved in a number of cases with Yakumo ever since.

Yakumo had even saved her life.

They would quarrel whenever they met, but before Haruka knew it, Yakumo had become somebody important to her that she didn't want to lose, and somebody that she could trust completely.