File 02 - Fluctuation (Yin)

1

-

- I can't believe it.

Haruka dressed herself hurriedly, left the flat and rushed into a cab.

Even after she told the driver the address, it felt unreal, like she was watching a television drama.

The city scenery passing her by in the window that should have been familiar also looked like something from a different world.

Her fingers were trembling slightly.

- Why did this happen?

<Isshin-san was stabbed and taken to the hospital.>

When Ishii told her that, all she could say was 'Is that so?' because she hadn't known what to reply since it was so unexpected.

How was his condition? Why did something like this happen? And who did it?

She had many questions, but at that moment, all of them flew out of her head.

- This is a dream.

She thought that many times. Even now, as she rode in the cab, she still wondered if she would wake up.

There was no reason for Isshin to be stabbed.

He was the sort of person who others would be grateful for rather than begrudge.

- Then why?

Haruka clasped her hands together and just prayed that Isshin would be all right.

When she got to the bed, Isshin would be lying on the bed and smile, saying, 'I'm fine. It's just a graze.' Then, Yakumo would complain, saying, 'Uncle, you shouldn't scare people like that.'

- Right. That's how it'll go. Please let it go that way.

The more Haruka wished, the more the uneasiness in her heart grew.

Finally, the cab arrived at the hospital entrance.

It was the hospital she had visited with Yakumo and Isshin today. She hadn't thought she would return like this.

Haruka paid the driver the fare and got off the cab to go into the hospital's night entrance.

She went through the passage and stepped into the dim and quiet lobby.

She saw people sitting next to each other on the bench in the corridor.

It was Gotou and Nao.

Gotou had his head hung low, and his shirt was dyed deep red.

Nao was hugging her knees as she sat.

- This really isn't a dream.

'Detective Gotou.'

Haruka put strength into her body and called out to Gotou.

Gotou slowly looked up.

His usual hearty demeanour was gone - he looked like he could die at any moment.

'Oh, it's you, Haruka-chan?' replied Gotou, raising his right hand.

Nao looked up as well.

Her eyes were filled with tears, but she was biting her lip to keep them from falling.

It hurt to look at her trying to act strong.

'Nao-chan, you OK?' said Haruka, sitting down next to her.

Nao's face was red from holding in her emotions.

'You can cry,' said Gotou, patting Nao on the head.