File 02 - The Cry of the Dead

Haruka looked out the window from the passenger seat.

After that, they ordered takeaway and had sushi together. Gotou was driving her home.

Isshin and Gotou had told her about Yakumo's past, which was alien to her -

It was hard to breathe, like something was constricting her chest, but for some reason, she also felt safe, like she was being enveloped by something warm.

A strange feeling -

'You thinking about Yakumo?' said Gotou from the driver's seat.

'That isn't it.'

Haruka quickly denied it.

'Liar. It's written on your face.'

Gotou looked at her meaningfully - it seemed like she hadn't been able to fool him.

Haruka knew she was the sort of person who couldn't hide things, but being seen through so easily made her feel pathetic.

'I just thought that I really didn't know anything about Yakumo-kun at all...' said Haruka in resignation.

That was how she truly felt.

The more she found out about Yakumo's unknown past, the further she felt from him.

'Haruka-chan, you know Yakumo now the best of all. Isn't that good enough?' said Gotou, lighting his cigarette at the traffic like.

'I want to know more...' said Haruka without thinking.

'You're completely a maiden in love.'

Gotou laughed aloud.

Haruka went red up to her ears and hid her face.

'No, that isn't it.'

Though she tried to deny it, she felt herself that she wasn't convincing.

'Then let's talk about another story from Yakumo's past.'

Gotou waited for the light to turn green and started talking.

'Another...'

'Yeah. It was a week after the incident with his teacher...'

-

1

-

'A corpse was found.'

Gotou Kazutoshi was told that a week after the incident with Akemi.

-

The scene was a park about five minutes from the train station.

With a pond in the shape of a gourd, the park had floating piers over the narrow parts. You could take small boats onto the large pond for fun.

The path around the pond was laid with bricks, and there were benches facing the pond about every ten metres.

It was also a local date spot.

In contrast to that, when you went to the back of the pond, there were knee-high weeds and a thicket with oak trees - it was like a completely different place.

After passing through the steel gates to the park and walking along the pond on dead leaves, Gotou spotted a crowd of people at a floating pier.

In the middle was a woman's corpse -

Gotou pushed his way through the crowd and went up to the woman's corpse near the floating pier.

A woman with long hair.