Chapter 9 "Prom Knight"

A blade grazed cleanly along the pastures, causing a smooth touch on this creamy path. With the blade put to good use, I cleared out any stubble across the canvas—my canvas that is. Of course, Cameron suggested a Brazilian by a friend of a friend. I could hear it now, "You're just a teenager, Lydia!" So, it was off to the restroom for little covert ops, using my father's razor and a little help from Dove and water, lathered and spread thinly over each leg. Besides, I heard those Brazilians hurt because everything was bare—EVERYTHING? There was no way my parents would ever go for a Brazilian. But I can't be too harsh on them. After all, they were letting me go tonight without a chaperon—Like, WHAT! I never thought this day would ever happen.

A pounding at the door startled me.

"Ouch!" I yelped, immediately dabbing water over a freshly, thin slit just above my knee cap. "I'm almost finished!"

"Child! You better get out of that tub, now! I mean it, Lydia—You been in there for over forty-five minutes!" yelled a voice from the other side.

"I said I'd be out—gimme a minute!"

Back to the landscape with the blade, I made haste through the crevices and hard to reach areas.

He won't be going there. I smirked, grinning like a not so innocent school girl.

I rinsed the suds from my skin—silky like olive oil as I glided several fingers across my inner thighs down to my ankles.

It's time.

I turned the knob and rinsed the conditioner that had been saturating my shoulder length tresses for about ten minutes now.

A little overkill with the conditioner, but I wanted everything to be perfect tonight.

After bundling my head with a towel, I wrapped my upper torso with another towel and unlocked the door. "Yes!"

"Drop the attitude, girlfriend," snapped Cameron as he ushered me out of the restroom with his fingertips prodding my shoulders.

"What time is your date coming to pick you up?" said Elizabeth.

"I have an hour," I said.

"—But we still have to get your head and make-up done," said Cameron.

I was in disbelief. As if what was happening wasn't happening to me. I could picture myself directing this moment from a different point of view and watching everything unfold. But it wasn't happening to me—Lydia!

A quick thought of Tabitha splashed across my memory like an old television series re-run.

She's gonna be there.

We haven't exchanged more than a hello and maybe a goodbye if saying see-yah counted.

"Perfect!" exclaimed Cameron, making the final touches on my hair. "Now, onto your make-up."

After twenty minutes in Cameron's makeup chair, it felt like the pieces of my evening were unfolding. For the first time, something good was happening to me.

A perfect day!

"Stand up, sweetie," said Cameron, straightening out the finishing touches on my dress. "Dizamn! That hot, Venetian red is so working for you, hon."

We both gazed into the mirror while Cameron analyzed every detail.

"The high neck and halter style was a good pick—Great eye," said Cameron, rubbing his chin.

"What do you think about the thigh, slit skirt?" I said, having just a critical eye as Cameron.

What can I say, he was rubbing off on me.