Chapter 12 "Witches' Point"

WEEK FIVE

Today was Jayden's final day of therapy. Although he still walked with a limp and had nearly seventy percent strength in his throwing arm, he walked! With his legal issues still weighing at the bow, at least he beat one of the hurdles. And, tonight he had a surprise for me.

"So, I'll see you at Jayden's celebratory dinner tonight, sweetie," said Chad, leaning over to make eye contact.

"Yes," I said, beaming. "But Jayden wants to go to the movies afterward."

"Eleven o' clock, missy." said Chad, looking at his watch, then shooting a glance right back at me as he continued, "I'm serious, Lydia eleven sharp!"

"Dad, relax—it's just the movies," I said, rolling my eyes.

No longer at the hospital, Jayden met with his physical therapist at his home, which made dropping me off easier for an over protective father. Plus, since this whole ordeal, my parents and Jayden's parents became quite close.

After waving goodbye at my dad, I sauntered toward the front door. Before I could hit the door bell a second time, the door popped open.

"Hello, Lydia, please come in," said Priscilla, escorting me to the back yard.

Jayden was right in the middle of his exercises with the physical therapist. He looked good! Not quite back to his football days, but he made huge strides in a relatively short period.

"Wanna take five, bud," said the physical therapist, making eye contact with me.

Able to walk on his own, Jayden carefully made his way toward me.

"What—no crutches?" I said with a wide-eyed smirk.

"I told you the next time you saw me that I was going to walk on my own," said Jayden, smiling.

"Here," I said, twisting off the cap and handing Jayden a drink.

Jayden took a gulp then gave me back the near empty Gatorade bottle.

"I'd better do some warm-ups before our final workout," said Jayden.

"Sure, I'm just going to use your restroom."

"Do you remember how to find it?" said Jayden.

"I think I'll manage," I smiled.

It wasn't like his house was a mansion or anything. But there were two guest rooms and an office located downs stairs along with the bathroom that always confused me. Maybe with a little luck today, I'd find it on my first try. Oddly, I hadn't seen Jayden's parents since I arrived. Not paying any mind, I followed the corridor passing room-after-room; it was like a maze as I ambled deeper. I heard soft whispers get louder-and-louder. Not wanting to pry, it just seemed out of place for whispers and secrecy. So, I did what every inquisitive teenager would do—I eased dropped.

"What about our bills," said a man's voice.

He sounded like Jayden's father, but I couldn't tell for sure.

I couldn't see who was talking, so I would have to settle for what I had—Just voices. I'd match the face to the voice afterward.

"Like I said, we've taken care of all your financial concerns," said a smooth male's voice.

I didn't recognize it at first, but then I thought about it. I knew this voice.

"—And the lawsuit?" said a woman's voice.

That voice was no doubt Priscilla's I pointed out, keeping a mental note.

"The boy's family will not press charges—we're rather persuasive that way," said the smooth voice.