Chapter 10:It's only a theory

Guess who's updated? Yeah, it's me. :) I'm so sorry I haven't updated in forever. A lot's been going on and I'm just a generally a lazy person. I know I'm terrible and should be more dedicated but, I'm not! I'm sorry.

Anyways it's finally up! So enjoy chapter ten...? It is ten right?

Chapter 10: It's only a theory

"Do you think she'll like this? I really hope she does. But what if it isn't enough?" I ramble nervously, playing with the bracelets on my wrists. It's been two weeks since the day at Tim Hortons. Hailey and I, through tears, impatience and hard work,  had finally finished. 

"Would you please shut up! We've worked two weeks on this. Two weeks of my summer vacation! So this better be good enough," Hailey says, her tone aggravated. 

"But what if it doesn't?" I ask. This is what really scares me. Not being enough, working so hard for nothing. I wanted this to mean something, be something of importance. 

Hailey slowly turns away from the mirror, where she just finished her fishtail braid. She walks to me, kneeling down in front of  my face. She grabs my face, forcing me to look her directly in the eyes. She's deadly silent. I frantically search her face, trying to find an emotion. Anger? Impatience? Sadness? I have no clue.

Finally, Hailey speaks. Quietly and calmly. "Abigale, I'm only going to say this once okay?" I nod my head quickly. "What I'm getting out of your anxiety is, that you're scared that this  won't mean anything to her. Now, out of all the stories you've told me about her, I find it really hard to believe that she will only brush this off, as if it's nothing, only a piece of dust. Think about it. Is that who you're best friend is?"

I continue to stare at Hailey. Man this girl has a way with words. She puts everything into perspective and into a new light. Sometimes for the worse, sometimes for the better. 

I open my mouth slightly, then close it. I'm speechless, lost at thought. I resort to shaking my head slowly. Hailey gives me a small smile, before letting go of my face. She doesn't get up though. Her eyes cloud over a bit, not in the way that means she's daydreaming or is tired. In the way that means she's in deep thought. I stare at her inquisitively, wondering what she's thinking.

"What is it?" I ask softly.

"I was just thinking, actually it was more pondering. Abigale, are you worried, worried that this might not wake her up?" Hailey answers softly. Her eyes sincere and sad.

"I, um, I don't....I just," I stammer, my mind racing with what to say. Finally, I answer, a solid answer. "Yes."

Hailey's mouth goes into a tight line. She looks deep into my eyes, as she says. "Abigale, I'm not sure but, I believe this worry may be coming from the theory, that people in comas wake up if they hear or smell or whatever, things that mean a lot to them. Am I right?"

I nod my head, as I turn my head away from Hailey's piercing gaze. She only takes her hand and forces my head to look at her. 

"Abigale, that is only a theory. Theory is not fact. It's only something they believe but, it hasn't been proven. It's not right but, it isn't wrong. For all we know, people waking in comas could be caused by a certain sound in the wind or a memory triggered. 

You could make thousands of different things for her, and she may never wake up. Just because she doesn't wake up, doesn't mean she doesn't appreciate it. I hate to say this but, because of how serious her injuries are, she may never wake up. But, she might wake up due to a treatment or, you bringing in a certain cheese, that you two ate when you were ten. It could be anything!

So, don't kill yourself over this. All you can do is do everything you've been doing. Read to her, play music, talk to her. Just be there for her." Hailey finishes.

I give her a small, hopeful smile. God, I love this girl. I spread my arms and Hailey leans in for a hug. I mumble in her hair, "Thank you so, so, so much. This really mean everything to me. You really are a life saver. I so owe you one."

Hailey lets go of me. She too is smiling. "You don't owe me anything. This is what friends are for. You don't owe just because I'm here for you during rough times."

"Whatever. I still think I owe you one."

Hailey shakes her head. "Whatever."

A knock sounds at my door. "Are you girls ready to leave?" My mom's voice asks.

"Yeah! We'll be out in a minute," I yell to her. I look at Hailey before asking. "Do we have everything?"

Hailey opens her bag and shuffles through it. "Yeah, everything's here."

"Good," I smile. 

Hailey takes my wheelchair and pushes me out my bedroom door. She pushes me to the front door where my whole family is waiting patiently.

"There you two slow pokes are! We've been waiting for you guys forever," My dad teases, giving us a wink.

I roll my eyes at him before turning to my mom and asking. "Did you call Mrs. Bennet?"

My mom smiles, "I sure did. They are on their way right now."

"Okey dokey!" I smile. Everything is going okay so far.

"Let's go," Hailey says to everyone before pushing me out the front door and to the car. Once in the car, I start playing with my bracelets again. I'm still nervous for this. I don't even know why but, I am. I get nervous for everything. 

Hailey looks over at me and notices my nerves. She gives me an encouraging smile. I give her one back.

The ride to the hospital seems to go on forever. I feel as if we're going around, and around in circles. My nerves are getting to me, worse than before. After an eternity, we finally arrive, parking in the lot. Hailey quickly comes to my side and helps me into my wheelchair. I thank her as she starts bringing me to the entrance, where the Bennets are. We exchange brief hello's before heading for the elevator.

I never really liked hospitals. Well, I guess no one really does. It's not exactly the hapiest spot. The overwhelming stench of antibacterial, the crying people, the exhausted and the loss of hope. At the same time, there is people celebrating and have tremendous amounts of hope. But more often than not, you see the unhappy and overwhelmed. That's why I hate hospitals. It's the automatic sense of loss.

Today was going to be a happy day. We are going to celebrate not mourn. Today, things would hopefully change. Today was about hope and happiness.

I smile as Hailey pushes me through the corridor that leads us to Juliette. I look behind me, everyone's laughing and smiling. Mrs. Bennet and my mom are talking along with our dad's. Claire and Ryan are laughing about something. I smile, everything seems like it's falling back into place. Juliette is all that we need.

Hailey stops me in front of Juliette's door. I turn around to look at her. "You ready?" She asks, one eyebrow raised.

"More than ever," I smile. With that, Hailey pushses open the door and in we enter.

 Ahaha, I know I left you on a cliffhanger! You have to wait until I update to find out what they have made! It's something really sweet, I think. :) Anyways, you'll find out what it is next chapter!

Drew hasn't been in this for awhile :( I miss him. So, he'll probably return in a couple chapter! Yay!

This is not edited yet so, yeah. 

Vote, Comment, Fan!