Prologue

Laken Rivera

I lied in bed with my boyfriend for going on five months. My lights were turned down low and the house was quiet since my parents weren't home with their snobby friends from work. Denver was not allowed anywhere near my house. He wasn't "of our level," as my parents put it. They think because they're richer than most black families that they're the shit and anyone less fortunate than us doesn't deserve our time.

"I heard a car pull up." His head shot up from off of my stomach. I listened to hear if my parents were pulling in the drive way. I shook it off and convinced myself that it was just the neighbors. There was no way they were home so early. Usually they got off around ten and didn't get home until midnight.

"It's probably my neighbors. Chill."

He rested his head back on my tummy and his light snores soon resumed. I closed my eyes, preparing to fall asleep before I heard my alarm announce that the front door was open. We both shot up.

"Oh ya neighbors got keys to your house now?"

I rolled my eyes and told him to stay as I grabbed some pajama pants from my dresser drawer. I slipped them on and put on a shirt from the floor. I told Denver to hide as I hurried out my room.

"Laken, we're home early!"

I heard my mother say from downstairs. I quickly walked down and stopped in the middle of the staircase. As usual, they brought home some friends. They loved to show off the house since it was the biggest on the block. Too bad the friends they invited were snobby and had their heads way too far up their ass. I remember when mom used to think money wasn't everything. Now it's her whole world.

"Good evening." I smiled politely as I walked down the rest of the steps. My mother smiled at me and came closer with her teeth still shut together.

"Why are you dressed like that?" She muttered to me.

"I'm in the comfort of my own home, I should be free to dress how I want," I looked at the company she hauled over, "Excuse my appearance, I just woke up from a nap."

"It's okay, honey. What a lovely home you have here, Shonla." Her friend shook off her fur coat and handed it to her husband.

"Thank you, let me show you around."

She glared at me before leading them down the hallway that led to the kitchen. My dad stayed behind and stared at me, closely examining my shirt. He stepped closer to me and squinted his eyes to get a better look.

"Who's shirt is that?"

I raised a brow and looked down at my shirt. It was Denver's NWA t-shirt that my dad saw when he first met him. I rolled my eyes and took a deep sigh, getting ready to hear it. He stared at me for a few moments. I expected him to say something, scream at me, or tell me we'll talk about it later.

"Dad?"

He charged upstairs faster than I could blink. I gasped and ran up after him, yelling for him to stop. As I got up the stairs, he charged into my room. Before I went in, I prayed that Denver hid in a good spot or at least mustered up enough courage to jump down from the window.

"Why the hell are you in my house?" I heard my dad's loud voice boom. I ran into my room and saw him gripping Denver by his neck. He punched him a couple times in the face. I ran up to my dad and tried to pry him off.

"Brandon, what's wrong?" I heard my mom come in my room. She screamed as she saw Denver in my room with his face all bloody. She came in my room and closed the door behind her so her guest wouldn't see. My dad roughed him up a little bit more before shoving my window up.

"Please don't." I shrieked as he held Denver's head out of the window and moved his body up a couple inches more.

"Brandon! Stop it!"

My mom yelled sharply. My dad stopped and held Denver there for a few more seconds before pulling him back in and throwing him on the floor. He breathed heavily and looked down at him before glaring at me.

"Why is he here, Laken?" My mom asked looking down at him in disgust.

"He got in a huge fight with his parents and he needed a place to relax for a couple of hours."

"We've told you before we don't want that in our house! What a damn embarrassment! You should feel disgusted in yourself! You look like a whore having this low life here."

"Low life? Your so full of shit, ma. Acting like you were rich your whole life! Stop treating others like their nothing just because you have something!"

"I don't want to hear it, Laken."

"Well you need to hear it!" I shouted, catching her attention instantly. "You think your better than everyone just because you got your hands on a little bit of money. Don't forget where you came from, ma. You and dad used to live in the projects on the bad side of town. This wasn't always your life so stop fucking acting like you have it all!"

"Watch your mouth." My father spoke up.

"Shut up! You know she needs to hear this!"

"I want you and this boy out of my house right now!" She yelled.

I looked at her in shock. She clenched her jaw before storming out my room. I took a deep breath as my father shook his head and left after her. Tears brewed as I paced the floor for a few moments.

"I'm sorry, Laken."

"Where am I going to go, D?"

"You know your brother don't live to far from me. Just two buildings away. Come with me."

Denver knew my brother Xae way before we even met. Xae got kicked out of the house a few years ago since he started participating in gang activity, moving drugs and skipping school. They kicked him out and according to Denver, he's living with his bro in his neighborhood. I haven't spoken to Xae in almost a year and I doubt he was going to let me stay with him and his friend.

"Why can't I stay with you?"

"You know my house is busy, baby. I got three little sisters, my ma and her boyfriend. I promise I'll be with you everyday."

"I SAID GET OUT!" My mother screamed from downstairs. I sighed and rummaged through my closet to get a big bag. I packed it with clothes, panties, hygienic necessities, some hair stuff and two pairs of shoes. I grabbed my wallet from on top of my vanity.

"Come on."