Chapter Eighteen

Emmanuel Jackson

I decided to chill at Shade apartment for awhile. After that little spat with Laken, the apartment suddenly started to feel lonely. I understood that she didn't want Denver to be mad at her, but I was also pissed that she couldn't realize what a dick he was. He was a phony and she is stupid as hell to still be rocking with him.

I sat on my bed, listening to some old Jay Z singles on low volume. The room was dark and quiet---only noise was my cousins outside but my mind was so fogged out that it didn't even bother me.

"Bitch!" I heard from outside. I lifted up a bit and stared towards my window. Lately the block has been quiet. No commotion from Fourth Blood, no brawls---no nothing. I got up from my bed and stared out my window. I looked down to see a man holding a  gun up. He could barely stand up straight.

I moved to the other side of the window to see who he was aiming the gun at. I looked at the person who was turning their head. I almost immediately recognized her by the hair.

Bang, bang bang!

Two shots flew by before the third one sent her flying down. Her painful shriek echoed throughout the street as she collapsed down, holding her shoulder.

"Fuck no!" I yelled as I ran out the room.

"Were those gunshots?" One of my cousins asked.

I ignored her question and ran out of the building, dashing down the street to where Laken was. A couple of people were trying to restrain the man that just shot her. I knelt down to her body as she held her shoulder, wincing in pain.

"It's okay, Laken."

"It hurts!" She cried as her hand shook over the bloody wound.

"Congrats. You just got shot." I smirked a little as I picked her up bridal style and walked towards a train station. 

"Where we going?" She winced.

"Taking you to a hospital, dummy."

I went down the nearest station and hopped on the train that would take me to the closest  hospital. As I stood up on the train, I looked down at Laken. Her shirt was soaked in blood that was spreading down to the rest of her shirt. She continued to cry and breath heavy.

"You'll be alright, Laken." I told her, not sure if it was true or not.

I ignored all the stares and waited a couple more stops before getting off. I ran up the steps and walked a couple blocks down to the hospital. 

I walked into the emergency room, "can I get a doctor?"

The receptionist looked up at me and then at Laken.  When she realized  the urgency,  she took up her phone and called for a doctor. 

Moments later,  a bunch of nurses came through the doubled doors with a gurney. I lied her down on it and watched as they brought her passed the doors.

_

Laken Rivera

I opened my eyes to a lit hospital room and heard nothing but gun shots. I gasped and sat up all the way, looking at EJ who was sitting beside my bed, watching an action movie.

I took a deep breath and rolled my eyes, "can you turn that off?"

"Why? Just getting good." He said.

"Come on, turn it off."

He grabbed the remote and turned it off,  coming over to my bed to push a button for the nurse. I got a bit more comfortable in my hospital bed, staring around the room.