Chapter Thirty Three

Laken Rivera

It's been a week later since my break up with EJ. I wasn't sure how I was feeling at all. I was upset that it was all over but I was also relieved that I saved myself from a potential heart break. Word around the street is that he got out yesterday. I haven't gotten a text or call so I assumed he was taking my advice.

I was on my way to Stanley's thirty minutes before opening. Shade called an employee meeting to discuss the plans for this weekend. It was the original owner of Stanley's, her father, birthday. They wanted to do something different this year for it and it involved the entire rink.

I opened the door and saw they were gathered around the skate counter. I went over as I heard Shade mumble a couple things to Kevin. She looked up and noticed my arrival. "She's here so let's begin."

"As y'all know it's dad's birthday and instead of doing nothing I want to throw a celebration here. I want it to be a big party."

"Oh hell no, this place busy as hell already. You know once them folks hear party all hell gon' break loose." The bartender said.

"Let it break loose, then. This place been standing for years and it'll be nice to have a big celebration for him. I don't care what anyone says, we are going to have a celebration for him and I need you all to be here this Saturday---especially you Laken."

"I'll be here."

"You better. I want some good music and I want that stove burning at all times, understand? I'll announce the event tonight and I got Kei printing some posters out for me to put around the neighborhood."

"Man why don't you tell that girl go to school?" Kevin looked at her.

"When she ever listen to anybody? Only reason she agreed to printing is because I'm giving her a lil' money. Everyone understand what they need to do this weekend?"

Everyone nodded. She clapped and told everyone to go to their station. As soon as they cleared the counter, I got behind and started cleaning some of the skates.

The doors opened twenty minutes later and people started coming in. I handed out skates straight through for about an hour until the line started to shorten.

I leaned over on the counter and watched the people on the floor. I began to get memories of the first day EJ and I hung out. I smiled a little at the thought and turned my head away as I felt the urge to cry.

"Hey Laken!"

I looked and saw Tessie come over with her little brother. In all my days working here I've never seen Tessie by the rink.

"Hey Tes...what you doing here?"

"Just came to take him out...he got one hundred percent on his test so we came to celebrate. Can I get a size ten and six?"

I nodded and turned around to grab the matching skates.  I put them on the counter and took their shoes, putting them in the same cubby. I gave them their numbers and watched as they put them on.

"You heard EJ is back on the streets?"

I nodded, "yeah I heard."