Chapter Nineteen

Laken Rivera

"He shot you?" Xae asked for the third time since I've told him the story. Since his lazy ass was asleep at home, no one really told him about what happened.

"Yeah. You ain't hear gunshots?"

"You know I sleep heavy...damn. Why ain't y'all text me this morning then?"

"Maybe your ass should get outside more." I shook my head.

"Shut up...where my gun?" He got up from next to me. I grabbed his arm and pulled him back down, "no."

"No what? You really not expecting me not to take care of it? Where Denver at? Have you heard from him?"

I rolled my eyes, disappointed as hell in Denver. Not one call or text from him. I'm sure he's heard about the news so I don't really understand why he hasn't tried to see if I was okay.

"Y'all okay?"

"Let's not talk about him but don't worry about taking care of his father. Me and EJ got it." I said.

He raised his eyebrows at me, "well excuse me, Bonnie and Clyde."

"Stop it...none of that."

"What y'all about to do?"

"I don't know yet. I have to go by and talk to him later."

"Well whatever you do, I support you." He got back up and smiled down at me.

"Your such an amazing influence."

"Shut the fuck up and go change your bandages."

I put my juice down on the table and got up to go the bathroom. I stayed in the apartment all day watching TV and relaxing with Xae and Kady. When it was seven, I decided to make my way to EJ's.

"Bye, y'all."

"Where you going?" Kady asked.

"My friends. See y'all later."

I slipped on my shoes and left the apartment. I walked down the stairs and to my surprise,  Denver was coming up. I sighed and try to act like I didn't notice him.

As I walked passed him, he grabbed onto my arm, "baby."

"Don't you dare baby me...don't grab me too hard, either."

"My bad. I heard what happened and I'm so sorry, Laken. I tried to find him but it was too late." He sighed.

"Yeah and how many hours has it been? Haven't got a damn text from you at all."

"I've been busy with the girls all day. They ain't wanna go to school and I've been trying to keep them out the house. It's a mess."

"Still could have hit me up..."

"I know I'm sorry baby. I came to check on you and shit...where you going?"

"I was going out to get some food. I'll talk to you later, okay?"

"Wait, yo." He gripped my arm tighter, producing a slight pain to my wound.