Chapter I: Missions and Murders

• Dedicated to To all those aspiring writers out there

The Lady Knight

28 August, Year 30 of King Frederick V of Monrique's reign

Derelia Manor, Anchorvale

Monrique

"What in the world - "

Paying no heed to the two, startled maids trembling on the threshold of Derelia Manor, my team of Captains and I barged into the household. Our eyes urgently wandered as we raced towards the other end of the Manor, searching for the third bedchamber to the right of the stairway on the second floor.

Dread filled the pit of my stomach when I spotted it.

"Make haste!" I ordered sharply behind me, leaping two steps at a time up the stairway.

With my heart lodged in my airways, I sprinted as quickly as my legs could carry me along the corridor towards my destination. Slamming my torso against the bedchamber doors, I stumbled into the room, with a yell of warning rising up within my throat.

Only for it to subside.

I closed my eyes briefly, as my grip on the door handle tightened.

We had failed in our mission. We were too late. We were just too late.

"Lord Lucien, drop that dagger this instant."

Lord Lucien Havelock of Derelia, a hale young man in his early twenties, blinked at the bloody weapon in his hands for a long while. His grey eyes were wide with shock and horror, almost disbelieving, before they flickered to the dead, battered body on the floor.

"By God," my Captains stumbled into the room just then, gazing at the corpse.

The corpse, which had once been Lord Lucien's older brother, Lord Lucas Havelock, Earl of Derelia.

If only we had put together the pieces sooner. If only.

"Lord Lucien, I will not repeat myself. Surrender that dagger this very moment."

I stared at him coldly, letting my hand rest on the hilt of my sword with slow deliberation. His frightened eyes followed my hand. Almost at once, he released the dagger, and began to ramble in fear.

"Jules - "

I clenched my fists, attempting to remain in control. Lucien Havelock was no friend of mine. No traitor to Monrique could ever be on good terms with me, be it one of my longest childhood friends or anyone else that I cared about.

I glowered. "'Tis Lady Knight to you."

He paled considerably at that. "Lady Knight, Ma'am," the words tumbled out of his lips in a stammering whisper, trembling, "I swear to the Lord, I did not -"

I shot him a look that effectively silenced him. "What are you going to say, my Lord? That you did not murder Lord Lucas?" I finished with contempt, "that you did not murder Lord Francois? Lord Louis? And Lord Pierre before him? You have been caught with the weapon in your hands this time, Sir. The game is up."

If looks could kill, he would have withered there and then.

I turned to nod curtly at my Captains, who surrounded Lord Lucien and forced his hands behind his back, pushing him down into a squatting position, despite his blubbering protests and struggles.

"Believe me, I did not murder him!" he begged desperately, his eyes wild, "Ma'am, Sirs, please, why would I kill my own brother - "

"Jules?" a new voice spoke from some distance behind me at that moment, accompanied by the soft shuffle of approaching footsteps.