Chapter XII: Mails and Misses

The Lady Knight

"Have you finished unpacking?" the Prince pounded on my door loudly, "make haste, Julie, I am ravenous!"

I placed the last of my belongings in the cupboard, sighing. "All right, all right, I am coming," I stepped outside my chambers, "such impatience, Your Royal Highness."

Upon seeing me, he broke into a wide beam, and was swift to offer me his arm, as he had earlier when we entered Tessensohn Manor.

I stared at his countenance strangely, and then at his arm.

"What is it?" he tilted his head in bewilderment after a moment.

"You may drop the act, Your Royal Highness. There is no one here," I rolled my eyes, "and in any case, I can walk to the dining hall by myself, thank you."

His grin faltered slightly. "Humour me, please?" his eyes twinkled dangerously, "the thought of breakfast has put me in a much happier mood compared to earlier." A dark look flashed across his face.

"Oh, all right," I grumbled, not in the mood to fight with him either.

Taking his offered arm, I allowed him to lead me to the dining hall in peaceful silence. Conflicting emotions flashed across his face, but he kept his lips firmly pursed, as he immersed himself in his thoughts.

When we neared the dining hall, however, he spoke up. "May I ask you a question?"

"You hardly ask my permission for anything, Your Royal Highness," I answered wryly, "I do not think you should start now. It does not become you."

He stared at me, uncomprehending.

I shook my head, smiling. "Ask away."

He seemed to battle with himself for a moment, before curiosity won. "How did you know that forest green was my favourite colour?" he blurted out.

I wrinkled my nose. "Of all the things you have witnessed this morning, that is what was bothering you all this while?" I shook my head, exasperated, "Your Royal Highness..."

"Well, I also noticed the apparent hostility between you and Lady Olivia," he defended himself, "but I do not suppose you are willing to talk about that any time in the near future."

"Nay, I am not. 'Tis not my favourite topic, and it is all common knowledge, in any case," I waved it off, before growing serious, "but Sire, that is inconsequential. A small matter. The lime green curtains incident was a small matter. The ermine incident – though certainly foretelling – was also a small matter."

His forehead creased, as he listened to me.

"You are too fixated on these small matters, Your Royal Highness," I told him quietly, "and you may miss the bigger portrait if you continue down this path. In this duchy, at least, there is a portrait that you need to be able to see, and understand it for what it is."

His frown deepened. "Julie – "

"Welcome to the dining hall, Your Royal Highness, my Lady Knight," the steward cut him off when we neared him, bowing, "please, allow me to lead you to your seats."

With that, he proceeded to usher us to the dining table, where the Tessensohn family were already seated.

Lord Auguste was at the head of the table, and both the seats to his immediate right and left were empty. His wife and daughter were sitting on the seats next to the empty ones respectively.

Lady Olivia was once more glaring at my hand on the Prince's arm in annoyance.

"Is there a problem, Lady Olivia?" I feigned innocence.