Chapter XVI: Excitements and Exaggerations

Unknown Person

Three brisk knocks sounded on the door, jostling him out of his deep thoughts.

"Who is it?"

"Friedrich."

His ears perked up on hearing the name. Friedrich was Master's personal messenger. Mayhap he had a letter for him from Master!

His insides squirmed with excitement, but he was careful to keep calm and composed. "Come in, then."

There was a brief moment, as the double doors were flung open, and hurried footsteps approached his rocking chair.

"Do you have a letter for me?" he asked neutrally.

The footsteps instantly halted. "Aye."

"Place it on the table and leave," he commanded distantly, as he removed his cigar from his mouth and blew a single ring of smoke into the chilled air.

He watched the ring slowly fade in the air, his mind elsewhere, as he heard Friedrich toss a light object on the tea table next to him and slam the door shut behind him.

It was only then that he sat up straight in his rocking chair and tossed his cigar aside. With feverish fervour, he tore open the seal on the scroll and read its contents, written in a special code.

A letter written in code that he and he alone, apart from his Master, was able to interpret, as follows:

8 October, Year 30 of King Frederick V of Monrique's reign

To Green Serpent,

King Ferdinand of Vantauge is dead. I am sure you have already heard.

That cumbersome boy whom Warwick is hiding must cease to live as soon as possible, and Warwick himself must die with the boy. Take the next few days to plan well, and I want the job done by the end of next week.

Ensure that no one, especially the Lady Knight, suspects and knows anything about this. Beware, Warwick's son is a close friend of hers and the Prince Nicholas'. If you succeed, you will be well rewarded. Fail to do so, and you shall suffer my wrath. I will not be so forgiving this time.

Good luck.

Your Master,

Black Sheep

He crushed the letter in his hand, as his mind raced on. It did not require a genius to infer why Master had written to him with such haste.

Everything had gone wrong, out of their original grand plan.

King Ferdinand of Vantauge was not supposed to die so soon. He had so much more to accomplish, and finish. All had been left incomplete.

In his frustration, he threw the glass of whiskey beside him across the room, and felt immense satisfaction in hearing it shatter into pieces against the wall.

He had already heard the news of Ferdinand's untimely death even before he had read the letter. It was a huge blow to him, his Master, as well as to the rest of the Order.

King Ferdinand had been the founder of this Order, in addition to being its sponsor, its weapon supplier, and the main reason for its existence. Now that he was no more, the Order was lacking funds to continue its operations.

Moreover, his successor, Infante Alfonso, was no friend of their Order. He, unlike Ferdinand, desired peace between Monrique and Vantauge, and would no doubt have the whole Order arrested if he found out about it.