Creative Silence

Spin-off of "Moonlight House".

Damian grins at me after making what could be the most ridiculous bet.

"Jake, you know that I don't understand when you do sign cursing," he says with a smirk and a shrug.

This idiot in front of me knows that I never back off from a bet. His bet consists that if a girl approaches me at the bar, I can't communicate using sign language or use the app on my phone that speaks out loud what I type.

Damian and I have been best friends since we were four years old. At times, he forgets that I'm not like everybody else and that makes our brotherhood deeper. But in moments like this I want to smack the hell out of him.

When I was born, I cried my lungs out, but no sound came out. I can hear perfectly and everything else about me works fine. I just can't talk as my vocal cords never developed. Damian learned sign language to understand me, and in fact, teaches in a school for deaf-mute children.

"Fuck you. I think this finger is quite universal," I sign.

"Are you scared?" he says, grabbing his wallet and house keys.

"Of course I'm not,"

"Good, because I intend to drink the bar dry and if you lose, you can pay for it,"

"Okay, then I want whatever amount you drink tonight in cash,"

Damian looks at me and I see the doubt written all over his face. I'm a determined person and I just messed up with his drinking plans.

"Okay, it is a deal," he says, looking already defeated.

We get in my car and drive to Moonlight House. The queue to enter the club is quite long, so it must be packed inside. We entertain ourselves during the wait playing dorky videos for each other on our phones. Finally, we make it to the front of the line and are allowed to enter the club.

We station ourselves by the bar and greet Rory, the bartender, with a handshake. We are regulars here. Without us asking, he opens a tab, makes a double whiskey for Damian and pulls a beer for me.

I gaze around the club and find a few girls looking our way. Well, my way. Damian has already left my side. He spotted a girl close to us and is working his charm on her.

The bastard uses the boo hoo story of working with disabled kids to his advantage. Also with his blond hair, dark blue eyes and big grin, he has the ladies melting in their panties in a second. When I get pissed at him, I call him Barbie doll.

"Hi there!"

I look behind me and see a nice looking girl. I look back at Damian, who is smiling wickedly at me and toasting me with his glass.

"Hi," I mouth. The music is loud enough to pass my silent greeting as real.

The girl has a lovely face with soft make up. Her hair is dark and a bit curly, her eyes are dark as well. Whatever perfume she is wearing suits her.

"It is busy tonight. Do you come here often?" she says and I nod.

"Your eyes! Oh my god! They are so light!" she says while looking at me up close.

I would be rich if I had a dollar every time somebody makes a comment about my eyes. They are green, but they are so light that in dimmed places like this they look eerily white. I have black hair so it makes them even more noticeable.

I give a smile to the girl. She looks fine in that tight black dress.

"Do you come here often?" she says and I nod. "It is my first time. I thought that we were going to have a nice girly evening, but my friend just abandoned me for a guy she just met," she says, looking a bit sad.