Fortune Cookie

He likes to flirt, but towards you his intentions are honorable.

The flimsy piece of paper falls in a zig zag motion in the trash can. I turn around and stare at the living room while I rub my hands on my face. The place where his wallet, keys and phone used to be lays empty, and it will continue for I don't know how long.

When I woke up this morning, I found myself alone in bed. His pillow was still plump and the sheets quite straight. He didn't sleep next to me last night. It wasn't the first time. Lately, it was more the rule than the exception. He had to work late, or there was a baseball game far away. Someone had a birthday, or one of their tires got busted in the middle of nowhere and he was the only one available to help. In the beginning I believed everything, but then the excuses turned into fantastic stories.

I stopped caring. I've taken care of myself through my whole life and I didn't need him. What I missed were the memories, his warmth and laughter, a caress on my cheek. Him telling me things would be all right. But it had been long ago since we had all of those things.

Then one night the insistent messages on his phone were disturbing my sleep. He laid in bed snoring deeply and didn't even notice when I crawled over him. The messages were from her and were too many. The next morning I asked him who she was. He looked shocked for a second and as quickly recovered, returning to his usual smile. He said it was the receptionist at his work and that it was innocent flirting.

When he told me this morning he was leaving me for her, I also experienced the one-second shock recovery. I walked to our bedroom... my bedroom now, and brought him a suitcase. He thanked me for handling the situation as adults. I stayed silent while all his belongings were carefully packed, he kissed my forehead and wished me good luck before closing the door behind him forever.

I wasn't feeling in the mood for Chinese food yesterday, but the girls convinced me to go out. After opening my fortune cookie, I wanted to believe it was all true, but I probably got someone else's fate.

---

Look around; happiness is trying to catch you.

My smile widens as I stare at the cup of coffee in front of me. The latte art of a delicate ring of hearts has the words 'I love you' stenciled in cocoa in the middle of them. I lift my gaze to look at him, sitting in front of me, wearing a black apron over a white t-shirt and worry on his face.

"I love you too," I reply and his concern turns into relief.

My breakup left me empty for a while. I went on with my life as if nothing was wrong, but it was all a lie. The girls took me out for Chinese food at my favorite place a few weeks later to cheer me up. After my last fortune message, I felt hesitant to open my cookie. They giggled at my message, said it was so generic. Then laughed hysterically when one of them got a strip of paper saying 'Eat another cookie', which was ironic given she claimed she was on a diet.

A month later, I found myself in a part of town I don't frequent. I had taken art as a form to express my feeling of loneliness and needed materials. I could order everything online, but I tried to have a normal life and go out. While walking around, the window art of a coffee shop called my attention and my rumbling stomach reminded me it had nothing to eat.

I opened the door and the coffee aroma immediately soothed my heart. The heat in the room was a warm caress on my face. I studied the menu on the wall and settled for a latte. I placed my order with the chubby bearded guy behind the counter. His black curls were held back with a thick band and his gentle blue eyes watched me with kindness.

I took a place by the window. Instead of entertaining myself with my phone, I watched the people walking by while the machine whizzed and steamed my drink. The guy placed the coffee in front of me, a beautiful bunch of flowers was drawn on the foamy milk. Next to it, a small brownie square rested on a plate. I told him I didn't order a sweet. He said I looked as if I needed it.

We talked for hours, only interrupted by customers coming into the coffee shop, and I never made it to buy my art materials. I visited him again the next week, and he asked me out. I hesitated, but said yes. I don't regret that decision.

One warm evening, while taking a walk at the park, he asked me to be his girlfriend. That time I didn't hesitate to say yes. Since he is in my life, he is as sweet, warm, and soothing as the coffee he prepares daily.

And today, he declares his love for me in his unique way. I'm glad I looked around and that happiness found me.