Secret Knight

Inspired by a visit to Dutch theme park De Efteling and their show "Raveleijn".

"See you tomorrow Francois,"

I give a small wave to my colleague. The pain in my foot is killing me and feel so much relief as I take off my riding boots.

The last stunt didn't go that well. Luckily the audience didn't notice anything different. My foot hit one of the scenography rocks and I swallowed the pain as I mounted my horse again.

I wanted to go by the first aid post, but of course, I needed to pose for photos first. Both kids and adults adore the Fire Knight so after the show, the cast stands outside and people can have their photo taken with them. I was quite okay, until a little girl stepped on my foot accidentally. It is a miracle that I didn't cry.

It feels good to be back in my sneakers and loose clothes. I really like how my costume looks, but in hot days like today, a red leather suit and a helmet while horse riding feels like an oven.

As I walk through the theme park where I work, I feel a bit of sadness. I enjoy working in the park show, but I pictured my life going in a different way.

After I graduated high school, I went to college to study theater. I had big dreams of becoming an actor. People complimented me often on my skills and it gave me confidence. I did some commercials, toured with a company doing some musicals and even was an extra in a few movies.

I trained on everything from horse riding, fighting, managing all sorts of weapons and stunt driving. Then, unfortunately Mom got sick.

Dad had to keep working to pay for her medical bills. We have no other family and I had to come home to help taking care of her. Luckily she healed, but my chances at a big acting career were gone already.

This theme park, that has existed as long as I remember and that I loved as a kid, gave me a chance. I started working at a popcorn counter. Somebody from the casting department saw me and asked me if I wanted to perform. I played a prince for a while, also a few of the characters in costume and during Christmas I sang carols by the fire with other colleagues.

When the plans for the knights' show started, I signed up immediately for an audition and got hired. I play the Fire Knight. My other coworkers play knights with different elements associated to them.

During the show I do horse stunts, fight with swords and even get to play with a bit of fire. It is the closest I will get to an acting career. Only the people that work in the show know who the knights are since we wear knight helmets. We are not allowed to take them off in public so the characters remain a mystery.

Deeming myself fit to walk again, I head to my car and drive home.

"Are you okay sweetheart?" my mom says as I get through the door.

"Hurt my foot in the last show,"

"Let me see," she says. I take off my sneaker and she moves my foot around softly. "I don't think is broken. Let me make you a foot bath,"

"You don't need to Ma,"

"Fran, you took care of me. Let me take care of you," she says, caressing my cheek.

I stay seated and relax a bit. Doing five shows a day is physically straining.

"How was the park today?" she says bringing a tub filled with warm water.

"Very busy. At least that is what I could figure from the amount of people at the show. It is also the first weekend of the school vacation," I say, enjoying the warmth on my sore foot.