Wrestling

"Ryan, you are back. How are you doing?"

I smile at the sight of our ring announcer Missy. Even the darkest of my days turns better when she is around.

"I'm okay. Thanks for the flower wreath and the card," I say as we hug. I could stay with her like this forever.

"It is the least we could do. We all wanted to be there for you, but leaving in the middle of a tour is just very difficult,"

"I understand. It feels good to be back,"

And I mean it. I had to leave the wrestling tour when I got the call that my dad had suddenly passed away. I thought that my world was crumbling. It was the support of Missy and my friends what kept me in one piece.

It was the night of a big match on live TV in which, according to the story line, I was supposed to win. I had to go home, but we were in the middle of a show. We arranged for my friend Joe to throw me out of the ring during the match. I would then be transported out of the ring with a feigned injury and backstage I could go immediately to a taxi to the airport.

Going home was heartbreaking. Of course, my sisters were happy to see me and so was the rest of the family, but we were all shocked and lost. At the funeral parlor, I was allowed to spend some time alone with my dad. I cried so much. I couldn't believe that he was gone. Thanks to him, I'm everything that I am today.

He loved wrestling as much as I do. He brought me several times to live shows. I was so fascinated by everything: the ring, the lights, the music, the characters, the moves. I could see myself doing that and he made sure that my dream came true.

He turned our garage into a small fitness center. Most of it were second-hand equipment. We were not poor, but buying new equipment was just too expensive. We trained together and had great laughs while thinking about how my character should be named and what kind of flashy spandex pants I should wear.

I got accepted into a wrestling training program when I was 19 and gave it my best to make him proud. When I got my prime-time contract a few years later, we celebrated together. I became known as Earthquake. My finishing move is The Tremor. Still, to him, I was just his little Ryan and he was damn proud of me.

I get to my training and Joe is there already. He throws one of the new guys over the third rope and comes to give me a hug.

"I have missed you, man. How are you doing?" he says, patting my cheek.

"I'm okay now, but the last three weeks were heavy. There are still things to be sorted, but my sisters will take care of it. Thanks for your calls and messages,"

"Anytime. I'm glad that you are back. Have you seen Missy already?"

"Yeah. I did when I came in," I say. Joe is the only one that knows about my feelings for Missy.

"Your head might not be in it right now, but you need to make a move or something soon. There are other guys interested in her and you will lose your chance. I will see you later at lunch and we can head together to the planning meeting. I'm sure that the fans will be happy to have you back,"

I go through my routine with my trainer while thinking about Joe's words. After finishing, I feel satisfied at the sore feeling in my muscles. I look at myself in the mirror. Who would have thought that the scrawny redhead kid would turn into a muscled giant?

As I head to the showers, I see Missy talking to Tank and I can't help the jealous feeling. She is leaning on the wall and laughing at whatever he is saying. His hand is on the wall and with his other, he moves a strand of her blond hair behind her ear.