Metro Girl

Because I take the metro to work everyday...

I see her day in and day out. She is already sitting in the metro when I get in and steps out two stops before me.

She is incredibly beautiful. Long black hair and big brown eyes. For all I know, she could be a Latina or one of those Middle Eastern beauties.

We have had our moments. One day, when she stepped in on the way back, I gave her my seat. She gave me a bright smile and my day couldn't get better.

I wonder what she listens to. Her white earphones are always in her ears. I have tried to take a peek at her phone screen, but was afraid that she will find me nosey.

"Hey Peter! I haven't seen you in forever,"

My friend Zoe steps into the metro, sits next to me and greets me with a hard hug. I have known her since we were little kids. I look at the metro girl through the space between the chairs in front of us. She is frowning. Did she see that?

"Are you enjoying your new apartment?" I say to Zoe.

"I am, but I miss the old neighborhood and of course I miss you a lot. We should try to hang out more,"

The metro girl is looking pissed now. I actually find this funny.

"What about that big buff boyfriend of yours? Do you think he will find it okay?"

The metro girl has actually taken her earphones off!

"Thing of the past. He was a dumb fuck," Zoe says, waving her hand as if it is not important. "What about you? Any girlfriends around?"

The metro girl is now actually looking at me with interest.

"No, I don't have a girlfriend. There is this girl that I'm interested in, but she probably doesn't even know that I exist,"

"Aw come on Peter! Look at you! That face, your flawless chocolate skin, those green eyes. You are damn hot! How can a girl doesn't know that you exist?"

"Sadly enough, I even see her every day," I say and look at the girl.

The metro girl's eyebrows are raised.

"You now need to tell me all about it," Zoe says, linking her arm with mine.

"What can I say? She is very beautiful. Her makeup is soft and I bet you that even without makeup she must look lovely. She looks her best in pastels, even though everything that she wears looks great on her. In the winter, she wears fuzzy pink mittens and a winter hat with a pompom. I feel like giving her a cup of hot cocoa and taking a picture,"

"That is adorable Peter. What else do you know about her?"

"She likes music. When she listens to it, she closes her eyes and taps her finger on her lips to the rhythm. Her smile is amazing. I have been lucky enough to be at the receiving end a few times. From time to time, she likes to read. Romance most of the times, but I have caught her reading some fantasy. My inner geek did a flip of joy on those days,"

"This is my stop. Look honey, I hope that she notices that you are a good guy and nowadays that is worth a fortune. You deserve all the happiness in the world,"

"Thanks Zoe. I will call you and we can go out for a beer like in old times," I say, kissing her cheek.

I lay back on my chair. The metro girl is still looking at me. I couldn't have been more obvious that I was talking about her.

My stop arrives and I step out of the metro.

"Peter!"

I look around, trying to figure out who is calling me. I don't recognize the voice. As the people filter to the exits, I see the metro girl standing at the platform. I point at myself and she nods, so I walk closer.

"Eh... hi," I say, rubbing my neck. I feel nervous as hell.

"Hi," she says and her cheeks turn pink.

"Did I forget something in the metro?"

"No, you didn't. You... and your friend. Were you talking about me?" she says, looking at the floor.

"Yeah. I was talking about you. What is your name?"

"Cecilia,"

"Well, nice to meet you Cecilia. I'm Peter,"

We shake hands and her skin feels so soft.

"You missed your stop. Unless you were coming this way on purpose," I say.

"I needed to know. Nobody has ever spoken about me in that way,"

"All I said was the truth. Do you have any plans now? I can take you out for dinner. Oh sorry, maybe you have a boyfriend or a husband,"

I never considered that she could be taken.

"I have two important men in my life, but none are a boyfriend or a husband. I have a three years old son and we live with my father,"

She waits for my reaction. I just smile at her.

"I understand. I also have a little three years old girl that I need to pick from day care,"

Cecilia gives me one of her bright smiles.

"Why don't we go out tomorrow? I know this great petting zoo that has a café,"

"Okay. Let me give you my number and you can text me the time and place," she says and then hands me a business card.

"You are seriously a makeup artist?" I say, looking at the card.

"Yeah, I work at the TV station in the center. See you tomorrow Peter,"

The next metro arrives and Cecilia gets in. She puts on her earphones and gives me a small wave. Tomorrow can't come soon enough.