Chapter Five.

November 12 2012

It had been a week since the fight, and things seemed to have calmed down.

Tiffany was suspended from school.

Rajani, on the other hand suffered from a number of injuries and was admitted to hospital.

Hot-head Tiff had managed to break Raj's nose, fracture her right eye socket, bruise her spleen and even cracked two of her ribs.

Bree followed me to the hospital to visit her on occasions. I hated seeing my best friend in that state. She had bandages on her face from the injuries and even her good eye was purple and swollen.

"Raji... hey girlie" I said quietly as I stepped into her cubicle. Her dad was there packing her things into a travel bag.

"I'm so glad to see you, Tash" she smiled sheepishly.

Rajani's dad turned round to look me up and down, he hawked up phlegm and continued packing. I shuddered, as I watched him swallow it.

"So you're going home, you sure you're ready?"

"Yeah, I'm so done with this place. I got a load of painkillers from the doctors so I should be good."

I stayed for a few minutes, talking about current school affairs, and I gave her some of the work she had missed.

I checked the time on my phone. Ten minutes to six. I was going to be late for dinner.

"I need to get going. When you coming back to school?" I said as I hopped off the bed.

"I don't know yet. I'm not even sure I want to go back. But anyways, see you, Tashy." She said as she hugged me.

"Bye Raj." I quickly checked the bus times on my phone and ran out the hospital and to the bus stop. I made it just in time and got on the bus home.

-

Just as I was about to put my key into the lock, the front door opened and Lucille greeted me with a scowl and crossed arms.

"Natasha, where on earth have you been?"

She pulled me in and closed the door.

"I went to visit Rajani at hospital after school-"

"And you didn't think to call me, no!?" I'd never seen Lucille so angry before. I felt really bad. "Have you watched the news recently? Kids all over the city have been going missing, ending up with their limbs scattered all over the country. Do you want to end up like that? Hmm?"

"No ma'am. I'm sorry, my phone died." I lied. My phone was on airplane mode while I was at the hospital, and I didn't bother to take it off. I wasn't in the mood to hear a lecture.

Lucille pulled me in for a hug. "You know I care about you." She sighed. "I just want you to be safe. You hear me?"

"Yes Lucille."

"Alright then, baby. Go get changed, we're waiting for you at the dinner table."

I ran upstairs and changed into my house clothes. The whole house smelled of good home cooked food. I almost missed my step going down the staircase as I thought about digging into it. I was so hungry, thinking back, I hadn't eaten since lunchtime.

I sat down at the vacant seat in front of my plate, we said grace and dug in.

"Aunt Luce", piped up Bree in between bites. "There's a party this weekend, can I please go?"

Lucille sipped her wine. "You know the rules Bree. Give me all the details."

"Okay well," Bree put down her knife and fork. "It's at Mikayla's house, she said her older cousin will be there to keep an eye out on things. So no smoking and drinking... Blah blah blah..."

Lucille gave her a look. "Her cousin, huh?" She scoffed. "What day?"

"Friday" Bree responded with a mouthful of food.

"Ah, Darryl's coming over this weekend. I'm afraid you can't go."

"What!?" she nearly shouted as she pushed her plate away. "Okay, so he's coming down for the weekend. What's it got to do with me going out?"

"I won't be here, I've got a parents, teacher consultation that evening and Darryl has no keys. Tash hasn't met him yet, so you're going to have to stay here."

Bree shot me a look then focused her attention back at Lucille.

Why the hell she screwing her face up at me, it ain't my fault I thought to myself as I sipped my juice.

"This is so unfair!" Yelled Bree as she stormed out the dining room, food half finished.

"You better come back down here and finish your food, young lady. Salmon ain't cheap!" Shouted Lucille from the doorway.

-

Later that evening, I managed to finish all my homework, catch up with the latest season of 'Love And Hip Hop Hollywood' online and even squeeze in some time to talk trash on Twitter.

Bree hadn't left her room and had been playing 90's RnB at top volume all night.

I almost didn't hear my brick phone ring.

Nathan. Read the display. I smiled and answered.

"Hey, Tash" His seductive voice sounded through the speaker of my budget device.

"Hey Nathan. What's up?" I bit my lip.

"Nothing much, just got home from football practice. Chilling in bed."

"How was it?" To be honest, I really didn't care about his football, the sound of his voice was just so therapeutic to my ears.

"Same old, same old. But my whole body aches, Tash. I wish you were here to give me a massage."

I pissed my pants a little.

"Oh, really" I giggled like a little bitch.

"Yeah, Natasha... You know I wanted to say this to you in person but. Fuck it. I like you. A lot. Like, you're so down to earth and humble. And I appreciate that-"

At that point, I put the call on mute as I screamed into my pillow and rolled across my bed. I was overly excited.

I unmuted the call.

"...You know, and I hope you feel the same way."

I missed most of what he said but oh well! I heard enough to know that he likes me too!

"Yeah, yeah; I do, Nathan. I didn't know you liked me. Why wait til now to tell me?"

"I dunno, I guess I was waiting for the right time."

"Oh wow, this is all so crazy. I can't even-"

Nathan laughed. I heard someone shout through his end of the line. He sighed.

"Listen, I have to go now. I'll see you at school, yeah."

"Okay, bye."

I started to get ready for bed with a huge smile on my face.

Thinking back to the days at my mothers house; I had a crush on a boy at my old school once. I went home and told my brother, Tyler. He went and told mum. She told me that my hair was nappy, my lips were ashy and that my breasts and bum were too small for a boy to like me. Ha! I guess that bitch was wrong! Look at me now...

I jumped into my bed, turned off the lamp beside my bed and entered the world of slumber.