Chapter 13: Shock by Future

"What do you mean by that?" Kate asked the man who stood beside her in the scrubs.

"There's only one meaning to ‘you're pregnant'."

"No. No, I'm not pregnant. I can't be pregnant. It's impossible. I- I don't believe you." The young intern seemed annoyed. He placed the chart on the monitor to Kate's right where he stood and pulled over another machine. This was one she recognized.

"Lay back for me?" Although he wasn't really asking and as he assembled the ultrasound, she followed his instructions. He flipped it on and got to work, moving the scanning stick around her stomach. Then, when he got a picture, he froze the screen. "See right there? That little spot. That's your baby's heartbeat. It looks like you're about nine weeks along."

"No. I- I can't be pregnant. I just- I can't be. I just took a test. It was negative."

"They aren't always reliable."

"I'm not pregnant."

"You are. But I thought you knew that already. Didn't one of your detectives say you were?"

"Shut up." Kate snapped. "I- I passed out because of dehydration. Why did you check if I was pregnant?"

The man looked straight into Kate's eyes, "I have no idea. Its hospital policy for every woman who comes in dehydrated. Mostly because it’s easier to become dehydrated when you're hydrating for two. Especially when you don't know you are."

"What am I going to do? How am I supposed to tell Richard?" Kate put her hands on her head and took a breath in.

"Well, I'd start by taking the other small child that you left with him home with you."

"Thanks. Thanks so much for the help. You know, you're just a little muse aren't you?"

"Actually, my muse is quiet big, and it spreads a lot of information." He seemed to be flirting.

Kate wasn't in the mood to put up with his childish games. "You do see the engagement ring on my finger, right? Not to mention, I'm apparently pregnant. This isn't the time for you to be hitting on me."

"I won't get another chance."

Kate rolled her eyes and sat up, pulling down her shirt. "Can I go?"

"Yes, but you'll have to sign a few forms."

"Fine, just, just give them to me. I have to go do something. Please."

He stood to go get the paper work as Kate leaned down to grab her gun from under the bed. They always had to disarm her at the hospital. It seemed somewhat… disarming. She didn't feel as safe without her gun at her side, and right now she needed as much safety as she could get.

When she signed the forms and stood up to go see Rick, she felt the slightest amount of dizziness set in. It seemed to lesson as she went on, but the fact of the matter was that if she felt this dizziness tomorrow, she'd never be able to work. And she defiantly shouldn't be driving anywhere like this.

"Wow, Kate, hang on. You're- you're not walking straight." Rick pointed out so very annoyingly as she stepped in the room.

She came back with sarcasm, "Gee, thanks for the update Rick. I never would have noticed until now."

"No problem. This little guy and I were worried about you. Are you alright? What happened?"

Kate took a breath and sat on the bed opposite his, "Rick, I have to tell you something. I-," am being interrupted by another someone who distantly knows you. Some times Mr. First-name-basis wasn't such a good thing.