Chapter 1: The Box That Changes Everything

"I'm so bored!" I exclaim in the middle of the empty street. School just got out for summer vacation and I'm officially going to be absolutely bored for the next two months with no students walking down the same paths for me to play with. Normally, I'd go around the city and cause trouble to watch my interesting humans' reactions, but even they have gotten so predictable that it just seems to be a waste of time. I love humans. They are the only things that have never bored me, and yet here I am, bored out of my mind. Perhaps I need to move again. I'm pretty sure that the Ikebukuro district of Tokyo has some interesting things going on right now. Maybe I should go there. I think on this for a moment before visibly sweat-dropping. No. I couldn't do that. The strangest human I've ever met lives nearest to here, and she's very attached to me. It'd be too much trouble to move right now. I'll have to wait until she either dies or moves away first.
I hop over the wall that separates the city and the forest surrounding it I I with ease, despite it being twenty feet high. I start walking the five mile trek to my lone house in the middle of nowhere just like I do everyday, at least twice a day. I'm almost home when I catch the sound of annoyed and pained mewling from a bush to my right. Curious, I walk over to the bush and push some of the overly green branches out of the way. To my surprise, there is a closed cardboard box with holes every few inches or so on the top of it. I take the box out of the bush, not bothering to be careful with it, and continue my walk to my house. Once I reach the front door of my wood-built mansion, I take out my key and open the door, closing it with my foot as I take the box in both of hands instead of just one.
I walk up the grand staircase to the second floor and turn to the left, heading to the master bedroom that I reside in. My bedroom door is already open as it usually is so I just walk in and sit the box down on the bed before I go change out of my high school uniform. Once I get the annoying miniskirt and tight blouse off, I kick my shoes into a corner and change into gym shorts, a tanktop, and blue knee-high socks to match. I then get a knife out of my weapon drawer in my nightstand and cut the tape on the box, opening it. What I see doesn't really shock me, though I do find them interesting. In the box sit ten oddly colored kittens. One red, two blue, and even a yellow one with a tuft of hair covering one of its crystal blue eyes. I feel like a Dr. Seuss book right now. Ten kittens, huh? I suppose that I can keep them. I do live alone after all.
"I'll keep you. Hopefully you'll be more interesting than the currently boring humans of this city," I tell them. They look at me and a few stop their fighting to meow at me. The only thing is, I've already gotten home for the day, and I'm certainly not leaving the house tomorrow to get them what kittens probably need. I guess it's time for Plan B. I close the box and tape it back to make sure they don't escape, which earns me a few angry meows, not that I really care what they have to think. I pick up my cell phone and dial the oh-so-familiar number.
"1-800-IH8-YOU2. How may I help you? Oh, it's you." Reika picks-up.
"Yes, it's Nao," I say over the device, answering Reika's normal yet not-so-normal greeting. "I just got some kittens and I need you to..."
She doesn't let me finish before she starts freaking out. "Kittens!? And you're keeping them? Daddy must be rubbing off on you! I want to see them! Are they cute? Is there anything that I can bring for them?"
I sigh into the phone. "I was getting to that before you interrupted me. You can come and see them for yourself, and I'm leaving it to you to get and bring whatever it is that kittens need," I say, getting ready to hang up since my objective was complete. I can barely hear Reika answer with an, "Okay," as very loud meows and shrieks start coming from the cardboard box lying on my bed.
"You darn cats! Quiet down!" I yell at them angrily. They pretend that they can't hear me and get even louder.
"You hurt my ears, Naomi-chan," Reika says. I huff in annoyance at the little pests that I picked up.
"You know what, nevermind. I'm going to kill these little furballs," I say into the receiver, walking over to my bed to fetch the knife.
"No, Naomi-chan! You can't kill them! I thought you didn't like violence! Just play them a song on your piano! It always quiets people down! Especially me!" Reika protests, trying to hold me back with her words.
"Fine then. I'll see you tomorrow. Goodnight," I say before hanging up the phone, not even waiting for the girl's answer.
I jerk the box of loud creatures off my bed, making sure to rattle the kittens, and head down the stairs and to my ballroom. I then open the box and set it down on top of the closed grand piano. I sit down on the bench and uncover the keys before taking a deep breath and placing my fingers where I've decided to start. I let the happy melody embrace the room, instantly quieting the rambunctious kittens as they listen to me play in awe. My fingers fly over the keys to reach each strenuous but beautiful chord and to complete every chromatic run with perfection and feeling. Once I get to the final key transition at the end of the song, I can't help but to sing the lyrics that I wrote for the final melody here.
"So, show me a smile from your heart! It will prove we'll make it through tomorrow. All your energy creates that peace, I need. I will only say it once, those three words that I long to tell you, but watch my heart as it soars above to the sky! I'll make tomorrow with you," I sing before stopping my playing. "I promise that I love you," I finish, hitting three chords consecutively to emphasize my ending. Once I'm done, I look over to the box to find all ten of the kittens looking at me in amazement.
"Oh, good. You shut up," I say monotonically. A few of the kittens blink in confusion at my sudden attitude change before I grab the box and head back upstairs to my room, sitting it down on the bed again.
I sit down on the bed next to the box and peer inside at the kittens, who most look back up at me. The only three who weren't glancing at me was a black one who seemed to be taking a nap, the red one who was sitting in a corner of the box, and a silverish-gray one who was glaring at me and hissing under its breath. I decide instantly that I like the silver kitten.
"I suppose that I had better name you before Reika arrives tomorrow. There's no telling what'd she call you. Though, she is getting your stuff, so I might let her change a name or two," I say to them in an uncaring voice, tilting my head a bit as I think of names for them. I decide that the red one in the corner shall be my first naming ritual victim. I pick him up by his scruff and hold him like that in front of my face. He just stares at me with a slightly annoyed look in his brown eyes.
"There was once a witch that lived in these woods. She was thought to be the most powerful witch ever and she lived in a mansion on this very spot much like the one you are in now. You look like the red statues that were said to have guarded her house. Therefore, you are Gargoyle," I proclaim. The red tom keeps its expression until the yellow cat starts to mewl in what sounded like something similar to laughter. Then Gargoyle looks a bit more than slightly annoyed so I decide to put him back in the box and take out the blue tom cat. I ignore the sounds of the my flame-colored kitten attacking my golden one as the blue kitten looks at me with big eyes with a bit of fear reflecting in them. I can't help but let my stone gaze soften a bit at this kitten's face. It looks a bit lonely for some reason.
"You can be Poseidon, the Greek god of the lonely sea," I decide before placing him back into the box. He seems to be happy enough with his name and doesn't get any grief from the other kittens. I pick up a black kitten with an orange face next. He moves around a lot in my arms, trying to get out of them to go and wander around my house.
"You remind me of someone with many secrets since it looks like you have an orange mask on, but you also look like Halloween. I think I'll call you Orion just to be on the safe side, though," I name, setting the energetic boy, Orion, back into the box to bother the other kittens. I then pick up a tom that is completely white one on side and completely black on the other. He looks like he's a bit of a creepy kitty.
"Yin-Yang," I decide before putting him back down and picking up the noisy yellow kitten. I bring him up to my face to stare into his eyes like I did the others. He stares back. We sit there like that for a while before I chuckle, obviously surprising him.
"You know, I think I'll like you. You're going to be Pikachu since I also like Pikachu, and you remind me of him," I decide before putting the unhappy tom back into the box. I continue to do this to the rest of the kittens. The only female of the group and the other blue kitten, I name her Iris, which she seems to be happy with. I then name the orange kitten with strange purple eyes who likes to stay next to the female, Orphan, simply because he looks like he'll get on my bad side and I want to get a step over him. After that, I name a brown kitten with stitch patterns all over him, Zero, much to his dismay for some reason. I then decide to name the awesome silver cat, Lunic, since he acts like he's a lunatic like me. Everything is going fine until I pick up the black cat.
"Hello," I say as I hold him close to my face as we have our little stare down. I know that I'm about to win when his eyes change red into a crazy pattern that I've only seen once before.
"What the crap!?" I raise my voice a little bit over it's normal level, dropping the tom into my lap. I pick him up again after a second later to see that his eyes are black once again.
"You know what? You can be Ita since you're the first one to come close to ruining my fearless pride in a very long time," I say, putting him back in the box.
Once my naming ritual is done, I leave the room, making sure to close my door, and go downstairs to get some leftover chicken and water for the cats from the kitchen. I manage to get it all up the stairs in one load and open my door to find that the box was tipped over on the floor and the kittens were creating havoc in my room. I place the chicken on the bed and put the giant water bowl in a corner in line with my bed. Ita and Orphan had gotten into my weapons drawer and were piling knives and daggers onto my bed while Pikachu was chasing Orion around the room, loudly meowing about something. Gargoyle was taking a nap on one of my pillows and Yin-Yang's tail was the only visible thing as it swished out from under my bed, indicating his hiding spot. Lunic was jumping up and down on my metal case that my Bible is in, trying to get it to open for some reason, as he growls at it. Zero had pulled some of the cash out of my wallet and seemed to be organizing it by how much a bill was worth, which I'm going to admit is strange for a cat. Poseidon had immediately jumped off of my bed when I entered the room and headed over to the water bowl while Iris had headed straight for the platter of chicken. The poor things. It seems that even blue cats need their resources to survive.
Once I've rounded up the kittens, calmed them down, and put my things back where they belong, I go over to my desk and start up my computer. That pattern that appeared on Ita's eyes is one that I've seen before. Now, the question is, where? Once I make sure that all of my searches and work is confidential with my hacking skills, I log into the Hiryu website and access the chatroom log. After an hour or so of searching and filtering the clan's busy chat, I find what I'm looking for. A picture of something called the Sharingan from an anime that a lower-ranked member watches was staring right back at me from inside the screen. I go to the chatroom and type in the name of the user, hopefully summoning them.
ScarlettMuse: Hey, ~*_Vippy245, you there?
I luckily get a reply almost instantly, and I start a conversation with them.
Vippy245: Yeah. What's up?
ScarlettMuse: Can you tell me about that anime picture
of that eye thing that you posted the other day?
Vippy245: Of course! What'd you want to know?
I smile evilly to myself at how wonderful humans are. They'll give you any information you want if you just play your cards right. Some you don't even have to trick or convince of anything like this girl, whose real name I know to be Clara Rox of the main city of Tokyo. She's a simple high school girl exchange student with no real goals in life. She was easy to collect information on like the rest of the members of Hiryu, the fire dragon clan/gang.
ScarlettMuse: I was just curious as to what exactly it is,
and what it can do.
Vippy245: Oh, that's easys! It's called the Sharingan, a doujutsu,
which is a ninja technique passed down by bloodline, and it's
used mainly for genjutsu(illusion techniques) and to
predict/copy an opponent's moves.
ScarlettMuse: That's neat. Anything else?
Vippy245: Well, the picture that shared was of a special, more
advanced version of the Sharingan called the Mangekyou
Sharingan. That particular one belongs to Itachi Uchiha, one
of the hottest and most powerful guys in the show! He uses it
mainly to trap his opponents into an imaginary world and make them
experience days of torture in just seconds of the real world's time.
ScarlettMuse: I see... thank you then, deary!
I log off of the website and my computer after this. I bring my legs up into my chair and hug them to my body as I think. So, the pattern comes from a fictional show and this Itachi guy uses it to basically torture people. So, either that means that this thing isn't really fictional, or that something fictional has become real. I know that I wasn't seeing things so it must be one of those two situations. No matter. Even if she is stumped, I, ScarlettMuse, the information broker of the publicly known red gang or the gang known Fire Clan, will not be stumped for too long. In fact, this might be a fun game for me to play. These kittens are now obviously not very normal, and it seems that my life will soon become not very normal either. Perhaps this is a chance for me to spicen up these boring days some. I don't want to do much interference in this story for now, though. That'd be too much trouble.
I smirk to myself before laying some extra pillows and blankets on one side of my king-sized bed and leave the box in the floor. The kittens take their cue and lay on the pillows and blankets on the opposite side of the bed to me, getting comfy before falling asleep as quickly as I do as soon as I lay down and close my eyes.