Chapter 2: Now Reika of the Suiro

"MOM! I'M GOING TO VISIT NAOMI-CHAN! I'LL BE BACK WHEN I'M BACK! I NEED TO FINISH PACKING MY EVERYTHING FIRST THOUGH!" I shouted to my mom from my room where I was packing my things to go to Naomi-chan's house. I run out of the house without saying goodbye, using Naomi's bank account to buy plane tickets for a flight in an hour. I hijack my mom's car and drive to the airport, barely making it onto the plane before it takes off. The plane ride seems to be much longer than it really is since I'm so pumped to get to Nao's house and see those cute little kittens. I hope she doesn't kill them before I get there! Once I get off of the plane, I take the subway to the city, immediately hopping off as soon as my stop comes. I speed walk as fast as I can to the outer edge of the city and start following the abandoned streets until I reach their end as they disappear into the forest. It takes me about an hour, but I finally manage to make it to Naomi's mansion.
I take a few steps back before running straight at the closed door. Just as always, Naomi opens the door just in time for me to avoid knocking my brains out. She looks at me with her famous smirk and mischievous look in her green eyes as I try to catch my breath from my strenuous journey.
"Hey, Rei. The furballs are in the ballroom," she greets, closing the door behind me.
"KITTENS!!!" I run into the house shoving Naomi-chan out of the doorway and dropping my bags as I zoom past her, running to see the kittens. Upon finding them I squeal and pick up the one closest to me, the black one, and hug it close to my chest. "SO KAWAII!!!"
I hear Naomi say something in annoyance as she takes my bags upstairs to the room that she gave me long ago. I continue to hold the black kitten until it scratches me.
"ITAI! Hey, you brat, what did you do that for!?" I hold the kitten by the scruff of its neck, staring it down with a frown that could put even a sad clown to shame.
"I could've told you not to do that," Naomi says as she enters the room with her usual, arrogant tone. I turn to glare at her and her smirk before turning back to the kitten, who seemed like he was sorry and probably wouldn't mess with me again.
"Fine. I will forgive you. I guess I did kind of smother you with my chest anyways." I sit the kitten down and pat its head gently before looking at the rest of them. "They're all freaks, huh?" I laugh and point to the blue ones.
"Look! They're blue!" I say, laughing again.
"Hn," Naomi answers, not bothering with my hyperactiveness.
After playing with the strange kittens for a while, I sit and rest in a chair near the still playing kittens. I watch as the yellow one chases the red one hissing, the one that hangs around the female stares at them all calmly with the female, the black and white one was trying to climb the wall, and the solid black one was taking a nap, while the other two were hiding somewhere.
"Ah, I'm tired..." I say and sigh loudly. "Ne, Naomi-chan? You got some food?"
"Is that even a logical question?" she replies, turning around to the look at me from her spot on a comfy chair that was in the ballroom for some reason where she was reading a book. When I don't reply to her, she sighs and stands up, placing her book in her chair. "Of course, I have food. What do you want today? Ramen or something?"
"Ramen? YES! I want RAMEN!" I say and jump up excitedly. "Ramen! Ramen! Ramen!" I jump up and down as I chant "Ramen!" over and over again. All the while the kittens stare at us hungrily. The black one has even woken up and was staring at us both like it wants to eat us.
"Oh, you want food, huh?" I say looking at the hungry kittens. "Naomi-chan, they look like they want to eat us. Let's feed them soon so that they don't." I take a step away from the kittens, turning towards Nao and looking at her like she was starving the kittens on purpose, and it was her fault they wanted to eat us.
"They shouldn't be hungry. I feed them not very long ago, but they are looking at us strangely. I suppose we could feed them. Cats need to eat more than once a day, correct?" she replies looking blankly at the kittens. "Let's go get them and you, both, some food before you all try to digest me. I have some ramen that I can make, so I'll cook that while you feed the kittens," she says and walks to the kitchen. I however go upstairs to get the kitten food from my stuff.
After digging through my stuff to find the kitten food, I triumphantly run down the stairs, brandishing the food like a weapon.
"Take it, you demon kittens!" I say and open the can, sitting the food in a small dish I bought for an occasion like this if one ever happened, and it did. The kittens all gather around the dish and start eating. I stare at them with disgust. "Note to self: kittens are evil when they are hungry."
I shake my head and head to the kitchen to watch Nao cook. "How's it coming?"
"It's done," she replies, pouring the finished ramen into a bowl and setting it down on the kitchen bar counter with some chopsticks, not taking any for herself as usual.
"Itadakimasu!" I say, before digging into the ramen. "It's great like usual! I swear you could open a ramen shop and get rich. I mean richer," I laugh and continue eating.
"Hn," Naomi answers, rolling her eyes at the unwanted compliment. Her eyes then go wide for a moment as if realising something. "Oh, yeah. I never did properly introduce you to the furballs, did I? You want to know their names, right?"
"Yeah! I hope you realize I will still probably just call them 'the kittens.' I'm too lazy to say all their names," I say then chuckle, "So, what are their names?"
Naomi lifts a finger and starts to point at each cat while saying it's name. "The blue tom is Poseidon, and the blue female is Iris. The red one is Gargoyle, the yellow one is Pikachu, and the black and orange one is Orion. The black and white one is Yin-Yang, the orange one is Orphan, the brown, tabby one with stitch patterns is Zero, and the sassy silver one is Lunic. Oh, and the black one that scratched you is Ita," she announces.
"Wait, Ita? Like Itachi?! That's what I'll call him!" I say, picking up the black kitten and start stroking its fur.
"Itachi? Is that the name of a guy from that anime you like?" Naomi asks me, getting her suspicious genius look in her eye.
"Yeah. He is so cool!" I exclaim and continue petting Itachi. I eventually start playing with him and the other kittens, not noticing when Naomi gets her signature "I've figured this out," smirk and evil glint in her eye, sneaking upstairs and uncaringly slamming and probably locking the door behind her. I continue to play with the kittens for a few hours until I start to get tired.
"I'm tired..." I say, then yawn and lay down right in the middle of the floor, falling asleep with very tired kittens also falling asleep all around. Little did I know, there was a certain discovery happening upstairs at that very moment that would change my life forever.