2

'Meghan wait!'
I yelled to her but she wouldn't listen
'Meghan!'
'Go away!' She yelled back
She grabbed her board and skated off.
I grabbed mine and chased after her.
I was always a better skater than her, I remember when...
*FLASHBACK*
We were 13. I had been boarding for since I was 10. She wanted to learn but she was hopeless. She came to my house often, to learn, to watch. The first time we went on a road she fell off, and cut her knee. I remember lugging her back to my house, I remember my mum patching it all up. She grabbed my hand when my mum used the disinfectant, I hated the stuff, it stung like hell. She squeezed my hand in pain, but when my mum had finished she clung on. I pulled her up and we sat on the couch, waiting for her mum to pick her up. She didn't let go off hand until her mum came.
*END OF FLASHBACK*
I snapped back to attention. She was gone. My daydream had cost me. Disappointed, I skated home
---
'Mum!' I yelled as I entered the house
No response
I checked my phone
From mum: I'll be working late, sorry, dad will be home at around 7:00.
I glanced at my watch, it read
4:13
I decided to study. I had nothing better to do.
---
It was now 5:00 and I had difficulty focusing. Was it Meghan? Or was I hungry? I didn't know which one so I decided to solve both, I grabbed my board and left the house. I passed by Maccas, grabbed a cheese burger meal and a Coke, chucked the fries and burger in my bag and drank the Coke as I exited. As I boarded I didn't know what to think. I boarded toward the local park. It had a small lake. Meghan and I used to go there all the time, we skipped rocks, talked and occasionally pushed each other in. Not today. Today I just wanted to be alone.
---
I sat at a bench and ate. I plugged my headphones in and zoned out. I watched as kids played and ran around the play ground. That reminded me of Meghan and I, again.
To many memories I thought to myself
I began to get up and leave but someone bumped into me.
'Hey! Watch where your--' I began alto say
'Sorry I have a lot of things on...' She looked up
'You're exactly what I need now aren't you' it was Meghan.
---
We sat in silence. Sometimes she ate a fry, but we mostly just sat and stared at the lake. Watched it glisten in the sunlight that was soon becoming moonlight.
'Friendships don't last Eli' she said
I thought about that and didn't reply for a long time.
'We've known each other for basically all of our lives, are you saying you want to end that?'
'Well, no, but...' She sighed 'I don't know, we're not good for each other, we cause trouble, you know it.'
'So what then?' I question.
'I don't know' she answered
I didn't know either.
'We just need to stay away from each other during school.'
'Just during school?' I ask
'Yeah'
'I don't wanna risk anything, this is our futures we're talking about.'
'Fine, never talk to me again!' She said storming off.
'Meghan, wait!'
She flipped me off and stormed away.
---
Saturday came and went. I bought some stuff for the party on Sunday but generally just lazed around, waiting for Sunday to come.
---