Christmas Tree

hi everyone, i hope you had a wonderful christmas yesterday if you celebrate it and that you enjoyed the first 12 Days of Christmas imagine! today's imagine is Daryl x Reader and the Christmas association is 'Christmas Tree' and it's the fluffiest thing i've ever written (1,062 words) - gabby

"What d'you want?" Daryl's voice was gruff and he was panting ever so slightly now that he'd reached the top of the ladder. We stood in the chilly attic of the house we shared with the rest of the group in Alexandria, and I pointed enthusiastically at the box in the corner of the room. "A Christmas tree? That's what you've been yellin' about?"
"Yep, and there's a box of decorations too!" I beamed with excitement. "Can you help me get it downstairs?"
"It ain't even Christmas, Y/N," Daryl grumbled, but he was trying to hide a smirk as I stuck out my bottom lip in mock-disappointment.
"Yeah, but I'm pretty sure it's December," I retorted, pushing the box towards the top of the ladder with my foot. "So it's almost Christmas."
I'd had to kiss him to persuade him, and we'd gotten a little carried away as we made out in the dusty attic, but soon enough Daryl and I were hauling the heavy box downstairs, not without a roll of Daryl's eyes, of course.
We knew how to start fires, how to build walker-proof gates, how to amputate people's limbs - but somehow putting together an artificial Christmas tree was the most difficult task we'd faced so far. Daryl and I just couldn't understand how to stop the 'branches' from drooping and falling off, and we were getting exasperated and tired.
"It's broken," he claimed, slumping down on the couch in defeat.
"Why don't we try reading the instructions," I suggested, a little more optimistic than Daryl, who had begun to juggle glass baubles, sending my anxiety through the roof. After skim-reading the instruction booklet, I came to the realisation that all we needed to do was twist the branches until they clicked into place, and in no time at all we'd eventually assembled the tree in the corner of the living room.
Daryl was in charge of the lights; most of the bulbs had blown and some were brighter than others but the excitement was still overwhelming when we switched them on. I'd decorated the tree with red, gold and silver baubles, not trusting Daryl to be co-ordinated enough to arrange them in a way that didn't involve just placing them randomly. Daryl was insistent on wrapping tinsel around my waist in an attempt to pull me away from the tree and towards him for kisses instead; but I was determined to make this tree look perfect. I'd told him to put the tinsel to use elsewhere, but regretted it when I looked up to see he'd just thrown it all around the room. At last, I was content with the tree's appearance, and all we needed now was a star or an angel on top to complete it.
We rooted around in the box for what felt like hours trying to find a star or an angel. There were so many left over baubles along with old home-made ornaments that we felt were too personal for our tree, and the box was also still rammed full of tinsel; I had to politely tell Daryl that no, we didn't need any more tinsel around the house, thank you very much. Daryl found what once must have been a beautiful china angel, only her hair had fallen out and she was not modestly dressed as her gown was ripped. I ignored Daryl's pleas to put her on our tree because "she looked cool and creepy" and continued rummaging through the box.
"We could just put you on the tree," I suggested, to which Daryl furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. "Because you're such an angel."
"This whole Christmas thing is makin' you soft," he drawled, shoving my arm playfully before helping me to pull everything out of the box.
I'd found a star right at the bottom buried underneath everything else, and despite the wire being bent from the weight of everything shoved on top of it, I adored it. It was gold and sparkly and I spent a while trying to bend the wire back into shape so that it was perfect, but I soon got bored and we settled for a slightly deformed star.
After amusedly watching me struggle to reach the top, Daryl had resorted to lifting me up onto his shoulders, and I giggled as he groaned and huffed at the weight of me. Once I'd positioned the star, Daryl let me drop from his shoulders, muttering something about how I was being "such a goddamn perfectionist". I told him that I'd rather be a perfectionist than a grinch, to which he scoffed and placed a sequin-embedded Santa hat onto his head, flashing me a sarcastically sweet smile.
"Do I look like a grinch now, Y/N?"
"No, you just look ridiculous."
We lay on the sofa, admiring our work of art. We had the house to ourselves which was a rare occurrence, and we were cherishing the moment by cuddling on the sofa. No one knew of our relationship just yet, except for Carol who somehow seemed to know everything. Perhaps as a Christmas present to everyone we'd announce our relationship soon, but for now it felt special to keep it between the two of us.
My head was resting on Daryl's chest, our legs a tangled mess. His fingers traced my collarbone and I was ready to drift into a light sleep when I heard him quietly hum a festive little tune.
"Are you humming 'O' Christmas Tree', Daryl?"
"Maybe."
"Wow," I laughed, feeling his arms tighten around me. "You're less of a grinch than I thought."
I sat up and grabbed some gold tinsel that was 'decorating' the coffee table and wrapped it around Daryl's neck, pulling him towards me forcefully. His chapped lips crashed onto mine and I grinned as he fell on top of me; our teeth collided before we began to kiss again, hands roaming over each others' skin.
"I love you more than Christmas," I mumbled between kisses, and Daryl chuckled onto my lips before collapsing onto my chest and nuzzling into my embrace. As I ran my fingertips along Daryl's arms, a feeling of pure happiness washed over me as I realised that, for a couple of hours, I'd forgotten about the horrors of the outside world, and for a moment, everything felt normal.

************
HEY SO HERE'S ANOTHER ONE FROM @DARYLSCUDDLES FROM TUMBLR I LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM Y'ALL SHOULD GIVE EM A FOLLOW!!! TELL EM I SENT YA HAHA ANYWAYS I'M GONNA WRITE THE NEXT IMAGINE ANYONE WANT A PERSONAL? IF SO JUST COMMENT AND ILL MESSAGE YOU BUT REMEMBER FIRST COME FIRST SERVED SO YEAH! LOVE Y'ALL!!
************