Chapter One

With my Converse in one hand and my jacket in the other, I paused at the top of the stairs of the Pack House. All I had to do was go down three floors without waking up anybody up.

I bit my lip and took the first step down.

Crick.

I froze and listened out. My dad was snoring away so that was a pretty good sign. After doing this for about seven months, I already knew which steps are the creakiest, which ones are safe and which ones are unreliable and could creak at any time.

The second step was a safe one so I took it.

I only made it down to the first flight of stairs, after doing a victory dance like I always did, when someone cleared their throat behind me.

I turned and was met with two golden eyes, looking at me intently. "Oh, morning, daddy." I said as sweetly as possible.

How did he even get down those stairs without a sound?! He needs to give me his secret.

He folded his arms across his big chest and raised an eyebrow at my shoes and jacket. "Going somewhere?" He asked.

Think, fast Scarlett!

"Oh, I was just gonna go out shopping with Misty and Bella." I lied sweetly. Dad didn't relent though "At 6 am?" He asked. "Yeah, it's a girl thing. You wouldn't understand." I said shrugging.

He narrowed his eyes at me "I would have investigated further if I didn't have to take JJ out to sharpen his hunting skills."

I perked up then "Can I come?" I asked. Dad laughed, he didn't mean it in a cruel way but it still hurt.

"Scar, we've been through this. You can't come alpha training because you can't be an Alpha, okay?" He said putting his hands on my shoulders.

"But dad! Why?" I asked for the millionth time in my life.

"Because JJ's stronger than you. He's more cut out for this." Dad replied. "Just because he shifted at three?" I scoffed, having heard that story one too many times. "Yes. That just proves that he's always been destined to be Alpha."

"What about after the sucker finally gives up ghost and starts pushing up daisies?" I asked, testing dad's patience. "Scarlett! I'm not discussing this with you anymore. Go on to do your shopping." He sighed and then turned back and around to go upstairs.

I scowled. I hated how mom and dad always protected JJ so preciously. If it was JJ wanting to go out at 6am, dad would have gave him a lift and mom would have gave him some more money.

Urgh.

Suddenly, two other faces appeared behind me. Breeze and Storm's golden eyes stared up at me.

"Will you buy us something when you go shopping?" Breeze asked grinning widely.

"Like candy?" Storm suggested

"Or soda?"

Then they put their heads together "Pleaseeeeee?"

I sighed "i'll think about it."

I couldn't believe that Storm was the next Alpha of the pack or JJ's son, whichever comes first. Then after him it would be Kaden.

It's like all the girls in the family were ignored. Breeze seemed to be happy enough in becoming a Luna through marrying an Alpha. And my baby sister Candi was only two and too young to even understand.

But I understood. I didn't wannabe Luna by relying on a guy. I wanted to be Luna because it's in my blood.

Then I stormed down the rest of the stairs, not caring who I woke up anymore. I slammed out of the house, making sure to bang the front door even louder and heard my mom shout my name from upstairs.