Anger

Ally stopped attempting to get Austin to talk as she drove, and instead was trying not to cry. There was such helplessness in seeing someone in so much pain and not being able to do anything to comfort them. He was staring hard off into the road, his eyes such a dark color and she wondered what had he just seen. As they neared the shelter, his expression seemed to slightly relax, but the boy still slammed the car door shut quickly when the stopped, ran inside, and locked himself in Riker's room.

She stood there, staring at the old door for nearly ten minutes when Riker popped up. Her own expressionless eyes blinked at him, wondering how to explain the last few minutes. "I don't know what to do," she finally said out loud, to no one in particular. Common sense told her to leave him alone for a while, and let him find her.

But ever since Dez locked himself in a room, that put her emotions on high. What if something was seriously wrong? She couldn't allow anything else bad to happen to anyone here.

"Ally, what's going on?" Trish appeared, walking forward in heels. "Is everything okay?"

"Austin and I were shopping, he got really weird and we drove home. Now he's locked himself in the room, and I don't know why."

Trish nodded at the explanation, casually looking toward the door. The woman seemed to think for a moment, and then sighed. "Well, I'm not sure disturbing him is best. He doesn't seem like the type to talk if he doesn't want to, so I say we leave him be."

Yes, Ally figured as much and agreed to it, but still as she sat in the living room, watching TV with Riker, her mind was on Austin. Riker seemed to notice this and kept his own eye on the girl, but of course, couldn't say a word. She didn't notice that he was annoyed with Austin himself, for allowing the girl to be so worked up over him. Ever since he entered the place, he seemed to only think of himself. For some reason, that just annoyed the older boy.

"Dinner is ready," Rydel chirped from the small kitchen, her eyes gleaming with excitement. Apparently, she had taken up cooking in the last few days, and Trish let her cook dinner tonight. "I hope you guys like it. I worked really hard on it."

Anything Rydel did was done with love and happiness, so Ally knew she could expect a wonderful dinner. The smell was starting to waver through house, and it seemed familiar, though her tired self couldn't place it. After watching Riker turn off the TV, the two stumbled into the kitchen to a tossed salad and tacos.

"You're my favorite," Oliver said, rushing into the kitchen with the biggest smile on his face. Jade rolled her eyes but laughed, joining him. Slowly, but quietly, Rocky joined the rest of them and together they ate the delicious meal she had made.

But of course, Austin was missing. Rocky had tried knocking on the door, but even he, who Austin seemed to like best besides Ally, couldn't get him to come eat dinner with everyone. Ally sighed at this, pretending she wasn't completely upset. The food was unbelievably good, but how could she really enjoy something when he was still angry?

Ally never remembered feeling this kind of pull when Riker or Rydel would shut her out. Why was Austin such a powerful force to her? It seemed almost wrong to be completely annoyed with him for this, but it was true.

"Ally, how did you like it?" Rydel was waiting for compliments, ones she very much deserved.

With a weak smile, she nodded her head. "It's very good, Rydel. We might have to promote you to cook."

"I just said that!" Jade giggled, as the two girls laughed together.

Ally went back to staring at the door down the hallway.

Riker placed a hand on hers. "Stop worrying," he mouthed. "There is nothing you can do. You know that."

But it didn't stop her from worrying.