Tension

Days once again passed at a rate that surprised everyone. Rydel had been pushing the formation of a band, but with their lives also busy with school work and just everyday life, no one got anywhere with it. The weekend came, allowing a few hours to breathe and Ally could hear the group in the rec area, talking over what they could actually put together.

"I mean, we definitely have a guitarist and a lead singer. Austin said he'd loved to do a band type deal, even though he's not here right now." Austin was with Trish, who had taken him to the police station for a follow up interview. This left rest of the group with Jackson and Ally, who were both observing from a distance. "And then we have Rydel who could do backup vocals and keyboard if we can find one to actually use."

"Maybe online?" Rydel asked hopefully.

Rocky nodded his head.

Rydel had once loved to play keyboard, but had given it up after her own accident. It took a long time for her to be comfortable in her own skin and while many of what she loved to do had come back to her, this was one of the things that had not.

"And Ratliff," Rocky added, looking over to the boy who was sitting in the corner, still wondering how he got roped into this mess. "Obviously you can play the drums. Come on man, it'll be awesome."

"I'm starting to doubt you're the same person," he mumbled back.

Rocky rolled his eyes, and figured he'd give in eventually. Ally could see him eyeing the boy though, probably wondering why he was even more negative than he was.

As if on cue, he asked, "What's your story, man?"

"My story?"

He motioned around him, pointing at Rydel and himself. "You know, why you're here."

"Why does it matter?" he shot back, his voice going on edge. "You've never told anyone here your story, so why should I tell you mine?"

"Hey, I was just asking."

Ratliff snickered and got up. "I'll be in my room."

"Asshole," Rocky muttered.

"Rocky," Ally warned from the next room. "Watch it."

Ally knew general details of Ratliff's past but also remembered a lot of it was uncertain. He had come to the shelter not all that long ago, addicted to several types of drugs. After going through a type of rehab, he ended up staying in the shelter. At first, he said nothing. Not that he was mute like Riker, but he didn't trust anyone, especially not Ally. Her generally happy smile and all over 'let's chat' vibe drove him nuts.

Besides, being a recovering drug addict meant he had another load of problems that some of the others didn't have. There was his background and then there were his current faces. Unlike Riker and Rydel, who were generally happy these days, he often fought the urge to leave the place and find someone to sell him something. And then he would remember what got him into that mess in the first place and he would end up staying, still hating everything about the place.

It had decreased over time, but he still seemed angry, anxious and generally unsocial compared to the rest of them. In an odd sense, he had enjoyed Rocky's company for that reason. That was, until they pissed each other off and then you had a war on your hands.

Now though, with Rocky suddenly seeming friendlier toward some of the others, Ratliff seemed to be alone again.

As the door slammed to his room, Ally sighed and looked down the hallway.

She considered going after him, weighing her options of what might happen. More than likely, he'd yell at her and tell her to leave him alone, or there could be a miracle that day and he'd start to vent and hopefully tell her everything. She had to laugh a bit … like that was going to happen. At least, it wouldn't for a while. Rocky's story had slipped on accident and she wasn't really supposed to know it. Ratliff? Would probably guard it until the same thing happened, or he was forced to tell someone.