Chapter 20

Both of our hearts beat rapidly in our chests as we walked behind Commander Lewis. She stopped in the control room and turned to face us, looking back and forth between our faces.

"So what's going on between you two." She crossed her arms over her chest.

Me and Beck both opened our mouths to speak, but nothing came out. Heck, I didn't even know what was going on between us.

"Look," she started pacing around a little. "I'm really happy that this crew is getting along the way it is. But you two seem to be extremely closer. I know it's sounds incredibly mean of me, but there are rules. I'm the commander and so I need to correctly enforce those rules, otherwise I'm not doing my job."

We both nodded in agreement. Beck stood tall next to me while I looked down at me feet.

"I think it would be best if you continued this when we get home." She sighed. "For the mission." She added.

I knew Lewis, it hurt her to have to do this. But I get the fact that she had stick to her decisions. She had the most important job on the ship. Of course she had to live up to that.

"We understand." Beck spoke up for us both.

"This mission's on me guys. Don't let me down."

Lewis returned a genuine smile, before walking out of the control room, probably glad that she didn't have to put up a fight.

Once she was out of sight, I heard Beck scoff. "For the mission." He imitated and shook his head with a sarcastic laugh.

At this I looked up at him only to see him leaning down.

"Screw the mission." He whispered before pressing his lips against mine softy.

For a second, I closed my eyes and let myself melt under his touch, but when I came to my senses and quickly pulled away.

"Beck, she's serious about this." I looked at him with a pained expression. I'd do anything to keep his lips on mine, but it had always been my dream to go to space and now that I was here, I didn't want to jeopardise it.

"So am I." He reached his hand up and tucked a strand of lose hair behind my ear softly.

"We could get caught."

"What is she gonna do, Ava? Kick us out into space?"

"I...I don't know." I was at conflict with myself. I hated this kind of pressure.

"We'll keep it discreet. I'll control myself, I promise." He stammered, his blue eyes filling with desperation.

At that moment I realised that life was way too short. I was in one of the most dangerous professions. This entire ship could blow us up into nothing if it wanted to. Anything could go wrong up here. If I waited, my biggest regret would be not seizing the moment, and I didn't want that to happen.

"Ok." I smiled, as he returned an even bigger one. "But we should avoid each other until the Mars intercept. If we do anything too soon, she'll suspect it."

"Eight days sounds good." He nodded.

"We're actually doing this." I exhaled deeply.

Beck smirked down at me. "Feels good to break the rules once in while, right?"

~8 days later~

We did it. Me and Beck spent the last eight days with minimal communication. We stuck to our mission and nobody suspected a thing. Of course I kept Johanssen  up to date with it all.

We had successfully reached the Mars Orbit, and so now we were strapped in our seats in the MDV (Mars Descent Vehicle)  which looked like a smaller Hermes. It had some light thrusters and parachutes attached to get us from the orbit to the surface.

We'd moved all of our personal belongings to the MDV with us. There was an odd feeling once we left, although we'd be there again soon.

My heart raced along with everyone else's as I sat in my seat in between Beck and Martinez. On my right, Martinez was punching in the right descent codes with the aid of Commander Lewis, which looked even more difficult with their EVA suits on.

3...

2...

We felt the thrusters start, vibrating the entire thing. On my left, I felt Beck's gloved hand move on top of mine, as he squeezed it reassuringly.

1...

We both leaned our heads back onto the chairs and closed our eyes, bracing ourselves for the bumpy ride.

After what felt like hours, we felt a jolt as it hit the surface. One by one, after Lewis' command we stepped out of the MDV. Beck released his grasp on my hand and motioned for me to step out before he did.

Each making our own footprints in the new sand, we looked around at the red planet known as Mars.