Chapter 29

"... And then mission would conclude with Earth intercept two hundred and eleven days later," Vogel told us as we sat at the table in the Rec.

So, turns out the weird image on Vogel's computer was a course manoeuvre which entailed us to orbit Earth, gather supplies and then come close enough to Mars to get Watney off the surface.

"Why all the cloak and dagger." Beck spoke from across the table. It was the question that ran through all our heads. It was such a great plan, there were no faults.

Then Lewis proceeded to explain how we'd be deliberately going against NASA's orders. However, the Ares 3 crew would do anything to get Watney back, and so all of us easily agreed, despite the warnings were were given about being in serious trouble when we got back.

After Vogel eplained the plan, an Johanssen filled us in on how she would override the security program, we seemed to have come to the decision that this was happening.

I looked around my four crew mates to see them smiling. For the first time since we left Mars, everyone seemed like themselves, even Lewis could see it. I glanced over at Beck as we shared a smile before looking around the table once more.

We were going back to Mars.

~

"Hi, mom!" I said with a bright smile through the screen. Throughout the week, each of the crew members were given the chance to speak to their families and tell them about the extended mission.

Of course, my mom was terrified at the thought of me continuing on with unplanned space travel, but somehow she knew that I wouldn't have it any other way.

"That's a long time, honey."

"I know, but it's worth it."

"I hope you're right." She sighed, "but your dad won't be pleased."

"He'll understand, eventually."

"Anyway, how's that cute boy?"

"'Mom!" I groaned and covered my face with my hands. "You can't just say things like that!"

Luckily I was the only one in the room, but her words were too embarrassing for me to bear.

"What?" She said in defence, "I need to these things. He's a potential father for my grandkids." She said with at teasing smile.

"I'm not having this conversation with you."

"I'm only joking, sweety." She smiled. "Just promise me you'll be ok."

"I promise." I knew there was no way of assuring that, but I felt like she needed to hear it.

~

In our personal time that evening, I sat curled up on the sofa in the empty Rec room reading a book. I was so consumed in it, that I didn't realise Beck had walked in until he sat next to me.

I closed the book and turned to look at him. "Pretty crazy turn of events, huh?"

"Yeah, my sister didn't take it to well."

"They'll understand. For what it's worth, they'll have to."

He nodded and scratched the back of his head.

"I was uh... Speaking to Lewis and Vogel, and it looks like I'm gonna be the one to pull him in."

"What? Why you?" I attempted to conceal the level of concern in my tone.

"I guess I'm the most able to do it." He shrugged.

"You do realise how dangerous that is. You'll literally be on a tether. If something goes wrong-"

"Nothing's going to go wrong." He placed his large hand on top of mine in reassurance.

"You don't know that." My worries eyes met his as a smile appeared on his face.

"I know that I have to get back safe so that I can get home and finally buy you that drink."

This brought a smile to my face as I remembered our incident in the airlock.

I opened my mouth to respond, but my heart skipped a beat as I saw Lewis walk past the entrance and look in our direction. I immediately pulled my hand from underneath his and cleared my throat awkwardly as she walked past.

Beck sighed and crossed his muscular arms over his chest as he leaned back on the couch.

"Now that's one thing I won't be able to stand for the next two hundred days."

"She'll get over it. I hope." That was perhaps the only true fault in this extended mission. It just added to the number of days of being highly supervised.

"I can't even hold your hand without her eyes all over it. Lewis is great but she's exhausting."

"We've dealt with it for this long, we can put up with it for a bit longer."

I noticed by his facial expressions that he looked quite annoyed at the whole ordeal. Usually we'd just brush it off, but he'd seem to let this one get to him.

"I'm going to bed." Before I had a chance to say anything, he stormed out of the room and left me once again alone.

Maybe this manoeuvre wasn't going go go as quickly as expected, but for Watney, we knew we'd have to pull it together.