Chapter Five: Frankie

It's been hours.

Hours since I've been curled up in a ball on Steele's bed, waiting for him to come back. 

Day became night, the sun came and went. 

The pain of being alone remained. 

I stared out the window, just watching everything outside.

There wasn't much.

Steele seemed to live in a place by himself, far away from any other civilization.

Like me. 

I don't know why I didn't tell him. He told me about his family and it was clearly so hard for him and yet I had to be an ass and not tell him.

It was for your own safety, Frankie. Nikolai said. 

Safety, my ass. Do you see Steele? Everyone respects him. He's supposed to protect us. You should've told him. Raul sulked. For once, Stefan was quiet. He didn't say anything. Instead, all he did was sigh and started muttering under his breath. 

I heard the door open and close and the man definitely wasn't Steele. I frowned and slowly got up, walking towards the door and out into the hallway. 

"Hey, Steele? Where the fuck are you? We have a meeting with surrounding Alphas in five minutes and your ass is nowhere to be seen. Let's go, buddy," the man called. I let out a sigh of relief. By the sense of power in the air, he was Steele's beta. 

At least, I was relieved until I was slammed against a wall. I growled and immediately flipped us over, hand instinctively wrapping around his neck. 

"Who are you?" he gasped out. 

"I'm Steele's mate. Who are you?" I asked and let him go. 

"No, seriously, who are you? I won't hesitate to call Steele on you." I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah, whatever. I'm seriously his mate." He stares into my eyes and I stare back. He breaks away first and I sigh before walking back to the bed, curling up in a ball, and continuing on with what I was doing .

Absolutely nothing. 

The man walked into the room with me and sat beside me. 

"Well, since you're my best friend's mate, what's your name?" I looked at him and sighed.

"My name is Frankie. What's yours?" 

"Name's Garrett. I'm Beta," he said with a proud voice.

"Yeah, I got that part." There was an awkward silence and I didn't know what to say so I turned back to the window. 

"How long's he been gone?" Garrett asked. 

"Couple hours." Four hours, forty-seven minutes, and twenty-three seconds. 

"Well, I'm going back to the pack house for this meeting. Would you like to join me? You could just meet Steele there." I looked at him and nodded before getting up and following him. We got into his car and drove off.

"So... are you a cross dresser?" My eyes widened.

"Excuse me?" 

"Well, you're Steele's mate and you're dressed like a man so I was just wondering." I rolled my eyes.

"That's because I am a man." His eyes widened and he stopped the car. 

"What?" 

"I. Am. A. Man. I. Have. A. Dick," I said slowly so he could get it.