Chapter 37 - Annabeth and Frank

Chapter 37

Annabeth

Annabeth stared intently at the map in front of her, the glow radiating from Leo's computer illuminating her face in a shade of bright green. She watched the three tiny shapes that lingered within the buildings surrounding the courtyard, toggling the perspective, allowing her to zoom in and out to get a closer look at the situation.

When the torches blazed to life in the courtyard below, following the hushed silence when Porphyrion had called for order, Leo had lifted the drone another twenty feet, not wanting to take any chances of being spotted.

Piper and Hazel stood very still behind her, not making a sound, yet Annabeth was still very aware of their presence, almost able to sense their fear. She scooted her chair closer to the screen, zooming in on the boys' location, trying to see what they were doing.

The three humanoid figures - lit up green from the night vision scope - were spread out alongside the window facing the front side of the perimeter. Two of them crouched on the window's left, and one on the right.

And even though they were unrecognizable - feature-wise for they were blotted out in shades of green - Annabeth recognized the figure on the right mimicking Percy's stance; the way he crouched, and his lean build. She also saw one of the two figures on the left bring forth an object, and as she looked closer, she dimly recognized the shape of a bow.

She looked over at Leo. "What's this thing being powered by?"

Leo looked over at her. "Well, I didn't have time to develop a system of outlets, so I had to make a battery for the computer. As well as the drone."

"How much life do the batteries have?" Annabeth asked, suddenly worried they might run low and crash the drone right in the middle of the congregation.

Leo grinned - the normal sarcastic grin Annabeth had grown so used to seeing; and the funny thing was... it reassured her. Normally, when in a serious moment, a mischievous smile did not mean success along the road, but for Leo, it was different. He was at his best when he was relaxed, and he definitely wasn't relaxed when he wasn't smiling.

"They've got enough life to power a jumbo jet, my dear friend," Leo said sweetly, with a hint of innocence in his tone, as if his constructions were nothing more than building an average tower of Jenga blocks.

"So, in translating that to time lapse, it would probably be at most four days before the batteries run out?" Annabeth clarified.

"Yeah, give or take," Leo answered. "If I had more time to make them, they'd probably be able to power New York City." Leo paused as if waiting for a dramatic gasp from the three girls in response to what he'd just said. "But really, it's nothing."

Annabeth paused for a moment. "Yes... that is absolutely nothing."

Leo smirked again as he continued to steer the drone.

* * *

P.O.V. Switch

Frank

"Frank, switch places with me," Jason instructed, and the pair scooted around each other, Frank now crouched at the window facing Percy on the other side, Jason behind him, concealed further into the darkness of the room. "You have the eye of a bowman. If you see anything suspicious, you give us the word, and we leave immediately."

"Got it," Frank answered.

"YOU ALL KNOW... why I have brought you here today, am I correct!?" Porphyrion loudly announced, his voice easily reaching through the walls and window of the apartment, enabling the half-bloods inside to hear every word.