Chapter 1 - Nico

Chapter 1 - Nico

The darkness of the woods only seemed to grow colder as with each passing minute, the light from the rising moon above grew brighter. The pounding of footsteps was loud enough to awaken Typhon from reformation in Tartarus as a lone half-blood raced through the trees. A single sword, invisible to the eye for it blended in well with the environment, was held firm within the half-blood's grasp, its black Stygian blade sharp and hungry for the flesh of monsters. The demigod panted and gasped, as he wove through the trees, leaping over fallen stumps, stumbling through bogs, and charging through thick dark foliage in his wild haste to escape.

But what was he trying to escape from? A single howl answered his question. It tore through the woods, piercing the night, its voice inhuman and reeking of evil.

Heaving, the half-blood poured on the speed, his demigod aura giving off such a powerful odor, he was sure he was attracting every monster within a 100 mile radius. The howling behind him seemed to dissipate into the trees, its owner likely falling behind. Whatever had made the beastly sound, its body surely was massive, preventing it from pursuing the half-blood farther into this wretchedly dense woodland. Finally, the demigod came to a small clearing within the shelter of the dark trees. He leaned up against one of the trunks, trying in vain to catch his breath. A dark canopy of branches sheltered over head, giving no light into the clearing below. He should be safe here for a few minutes.

Leaning his head against the trunk, he willed the shadows around him to come forth, drinking in their energy through the dark blade of his Stygian weapon, relinquishing some of his exhaustion into the night air, and replacing it with fresh health. Drawing in a lungful of oxygen, he tried to recall what had just happened.

It was hellhounds. That was it. In his haste to escape his pursuer, he'd forgotten what had attacked them the previous night. An entire pack of them as he remembered, their glowing red eyes maleficent in the dark, claws flashing for his throat. In desperate terror, he'd found himself unwillingly, squeezing his eyes shut and being pulled forth into the depths of shadow travel, his soul bending through time and space. The transportation only lasted about a second. But when he'd re-opened his eyes, the pack was gone, and so were his two companions. The Athena Parthenos was also gone. He'd shadow-traveled to an entirely different area, leaving them on the verge of death.

Burning shame seared his face, his body flushing all the way down to his feet. He'd left his companions alone to the fate of the hellhounds; and somewhere right now, they were probably dead, or at least fighting for their lives. He knew he'd only traveled a couple of miles. These were the same forests he'd been in when the hellhounds attacked. He just had no idea now where his friends were, and he needed to find them now before whatever monster hot on his trail did.

Drawing in another lungful of air, he turned, ready to go, when suddenly, the sound of leaves crackling behind him made him freeze in his tracks. A twig snapped. The half-blood ducked behind the tree, his hand still grasping the handle of his sword. Bushes rustled a few yards to his right. Something was very close. How could he have let it sneak up on him like this? Leaning farther into the shadows, his black clothing disguised him very well, the only thing visible within the filtering light of the rising moon, was his deathly pale face, unmistakable white in the dark of the night.

The bushes parted, and out stepped a small humanoid figure. It didn't seem to carry the aura of a monster. In fact, it looked very well to be another demigod. He was about to leap out, thinking it was one of his companions, but suddenly halted himself. He still didn't trust this newcomer, even if it did look human. He decided to remain hidden, and see what it would do. But his previous hesitation was all it took.

The figure turned suddenly, its gaze pointing in his direction. The half-blood saw the faint silhouette of a long braid whipping around the figure's shoulders, an Imperial Gold sword held firm in its grasp. "Nico?" the figure asked, caution and hesitancy filling its voice.