Chapter 24 - Nico

Chapter 24 - Nico

"Stay close, lad!" Amphitryon hissed, ushering the son of Hades to his side.

Nico just stood there, feeling like a total idiot, watching as some dunder-head in a 'bloke cap' scuttled around the dark alley they'd come through, leaping behind dumpsters as if he were in a Mission Impossible film, quickly looking around as if to check for 'potential threat', and motioning for Nico to follow with stupid little hand gestures that Nico couldn't decide as if the hunter was saying: Follow me! Or: I have to go wee wee!

Amphitryon dropped onto his belly and Marine-crawled down the pavement, the shadows of the surrounding trash bins doing nothing to hide him. It was 1:00 in the afternoon for Zeus sake!

Nico walked awkwardly along, wanting to just shadow-travel far, far away from here, to hide his utter humiliation as Amphitryon did an epic fail of a 'tuck-n-roll' behind an old sofa that someone had apparently decided to throw out, scattering garbage every where, metal bins clattering on the pavement, the hunter making a big scene of popping his head up and down, checking the entrance to the alley.

They had traveled to Carentan; a small rural town in Normandy, north-western France;  near the north-eastern base of the French Cotentin Peninsula. As an old WWII battle sight that linked the Utah and Omaha beaches on the English Channel, it was the perfect place for tourists.

And tourists were definitely here. They milled around, visiting old museums and memorial sites for the soldiers who gave their lives trying to liberate France. Many dwelled in the cafés, others walking children and dogs on a lovely stroll with their husbands and wives.

That being said, it was a great place to hide - a place to hide a mythical creature on the run from a  two thousand year old god, two demigods, a satyr, and a fox-loving magical blood hound.

 "Why are we hiding again?" Nico drawled. "This is a public town..."

"Yes, son of Hades!" Amphitryon hissed, looking back at Nico, his round spectacles making him look like a hillbilly version of Harry Potter. "A public town that the Teumissian Fox is loitering in!" He then made a sweeping motion with his hand, beckoning at Nico either to crouch low; stealth-mode style, or start dancing the Chimichanga on top of the dumpsters. 

Nico tilted his head. "Really...?" 

Amphitryon looked at him with exasperated blue eyes. He then made the sweeping gesture again. 

Nico's eyes closed halfway. "Just say the words."

"Get. Down," The hunter snarled.

Nico crouched.

"Di immortales, demigods these days..." Amphitryon muttered to himself, turning back around. 

Nico made a chocking gesture at the god behind his back, but the hunter didn't notice. He quickly pulled up a small radar scanner, hooked to his giant tool belt. "I'm picking up a strong sense of magical essence somewhere in this town," he muttered, his eyes flickering back and forth on the tiny radar screen. "Besides me and my dog of course." The god dialed in some information into the device. "We're close to the south-eastern section of this place. The scanner shows our target is toward the north. Come."

Yes, I know this was short.

But FEAR NOT, my fellow demigods! The next chapter shall be up in about five minutes!

For this scene, It'll be a bunch of short little 500-1,000 word chapters switching from Nico's POV to Reyna's, and back again, until we get to the main portion which will one big chapter, so prepare yourselves.

Until next time!

Next chapter is online in 5... 4... 3... 2...