Chapter 15 - Frank

Chapter 15 - Frank

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" Hazel asked.

Frank nodded. "Very much." He looked out over the vast sea surrounding them that he assumed was the Ionian - its crystalline surface gleaming in the dusk light.

He and Hazel stood at the stern of the Argo II, their fingers laced together, Hazel leaning against him comfortably. The silence that surrounded them was so tranquil, Frank had never felt so at peace. He couldn't see any signs of land, but that didn't faze him. The Gannets drifted lazily over head, once in a while two or three would dive straight into the water, only to re-appear with a silvery fish in their beaks. Frank watched them with awe. He always knew how to shape-shift into different forms, and now he wondered what it would be like to become one of them. Gannets were so interesting. They couldn't just fly - they could swim underwater as well. As Frank watched them soaring overhead, he thought about his shape-shifting abilities. He imagined how his form could bend itself into a particularly different matter, and he pondered whether or not he could try something... different... completely different.

What would that be like?

He stood there, and as he held Hazel's hand, he closed his eyes and began to concentrate. He imagined becoming a giant Gannet, yet at the same time staying human. He visualized his form transforming into something new, yet staying anchored to his mortal body. He concentrated on where he wanted these actions to occur within him. Suddenly, he began to feel his shoulder blades itching, his back tingling as he began to feel himself transform. Smiling to himself, he allowed his concentration to cut itself short, and the tingling stopped.

"Hazel," he began.

"Yes?" she asked, still gazing out over the Ionian.

"Come here," Frank said. "I've got a surprise for you."

She turned and eyed him suspiciously, but letting his smiles take the best of her, she let Frank guide her to the edge of the port side of the ship. Frank dragged a tall barrel from one of the ship's crates, and stood it at the rail. "Hop on," he said.

"What?" Hazel asked, looking at the barrel fearfully. It stood right at the edge of the ship, its surface level with the safety railing. "What if I fall?"

"I'll catch you of course," Frank answered.

Hazel stared at him hard, and then finally sighed, allowing Frank to boost her up onto the top of the barrel. He then climbed up behind her.

"It really is beautiful, huh?" Frank whispered into ear, wrapping his arms around her waist like a Prom picture, resting his chin on her left shoulder gazing out over the endless sea.

Hazel breathed outward, and reached behind her to stroke Frank's hair. "It really is."

"Do you trust me, Hazel?" Frank asked.

"With my life," Hazel replied almost immediately.

Frank grinned, and said. "Close your eyes."

He felt her smile skeptically, but after a moment, she closed them.

Frank began to rock, back and forth, back and forth, building momentum.

"Frank... what are you...?" Hazel began.

"Keep them closed," Frank advised, then with one heave, holding Hazel tightly, he launched himself off the side of the ship, plunging toward the water below.

Wind whistled in Frank's ears. He could feel the muscles in Hazel's shoulders tense as hard as rocks. She didn't scream though which he was grateful for. He didn't want his concentration to break. As the water raced toward them, he began to visualize what he had before. He imagined himself as a Gannet, but yet still human. The tingling reappeared in his shoulder blades immediately. He anchored his will to them, and propelled all his power forward. All at once, right before they hit the water, Frank felt an electric shock zap through him; suddenly his shirt ripped open, and giant ten foot long Gannet wings erupted from his shoulder blades, catching the wind and pulling them up into a swooping-swallow.