Sixteen

Hard, rough hands grabbed me by my waist and took me out of their hold. They carried sneers and cursed aloud when I scratched them- I thought back to later that evening when Mother had chased me around the room, trying to clip my nails.

When I turned to look at her, tears threatened to brawl in my eyes and my heart ached and longed for their embrace.

She was being dragged away, her eyes heavy with pure droplets. Groans of pain eluded my ears as I turned to find Father on the ground, hand on stomach.

A scream pierced the heavy, ridden air.

Before being taken away to the dark, where the monsters lurked, I saw the eyes of the animal, behind the rows of wheat; his bright coloured eyes fixed on mine.

A knock came through and the door opened with a creak, revealing Janet with Farren following from behind.

"Eden dear, It's time." Janet declared, snapping me out of my thoughts and looking their way. Behind her was Farren- who sent an encouraging smile my way.

With a deep breath, I brushed the non-existent dirt from my newly designed gown which had arrived from the makers in the Safe House by Ethan's demand and made my way out my room elegantly.

It wasn't too hard walking in heels, despite the part where I hadn't really worn heels in a while now. I remembered the times where we were trained to walk in heels at the age of seven, they tested our balance, our posture, they observed almost anything. It didn't go too bad, every girl had to partner up with another and hold each other by the elbows- that was only the Entry Level. By Level 1, it was as if trying to stand upright on a mass of needles. We were on our own, fending for ourselves and had to ignore those who fell and grazed their knee severely on the hard ground.

There's one thing I've learnt about schools; tradition is one thing they'll never let go of.

We exited the room, walking down the usual corridor that hung the faces of the previous leaders. All the more, creepier bunch of faces staring blankly at you in a dark corridor. By the time we made it out, I had managed to steady myself and keep my posture upright. It was the least I could do- to look elegant and capable with managing the business.

Tonight was the night where I get to pronounce my plans and preparations for the lack of food, there's something needed to be done and if all goes well, all I'm hoping to have achieved are agreements and co-operation from the allies. It seems to me as without them, The Camp would have died down years ago.

I would never have ever thought this day would exist. The day where I am involved in a managing firm standing upon high grounds and pronouncing the best solution to the arising problems. But the problem is not them. It's me.

I'm pretty short on confidence, I've hadn't had to declare resolutions in front of an audience; heck, I've never had to even provide solutions, the school took care of everything for us. I gulped down the panic and clenched my hands into fists, as I remember why I'm doing this.

I want a change; and if I don't start acting now, I won't be able to later.

Yes, I will be the girl that had once had a family, that once was free. Although there are no memories, I know for certain, the younger me would have wanted it back, not to have let go of my parents hold as I was forced away. I look up and stand in front of the large doors leading to the beanfeast. This was it.

I am strong.

That was until I remembered members from Safe House are also attending. I groaned and turned back round. Not looking back once at the opportunity. Before I took any other steps away from the reunite of two troupes, not particularly fond of with other, Janet and Farren held me by my elbows, stopping me.